zylaxice

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
Well, my dear friend Google has let me down, so here's to hoping I can find an answer here. I have a 5.1 speaker set hooked up to my computer, and onboard 5.1 audio. I play music quite often, but it's all recorded in stereo. I'm looking for sound from my center and rear satellites. Obviously I won't get true 5.1, but I would like to get some sound from those three speakers. The question is, how can I get this emulation? Is there a software that can do it? Will I need to drop some money for a sound card capable of that?

Thank you now for any forthcoming help.

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
you don't have an AV amp do you?
If ur equipment supports pro logic II, try that, works great, the best i've heard (although on ps2) is hot pursuit 2 with the 360 view thing where my sound goes all round even though it's only a stereo (optical though) connection hooked up to a 5.1 system
I've never heard of anything, neither have i searched, but MAYBE you could find some program to encode in Pro Logic II. other then that, no idea

Ara

zylaxice

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
Yeah, thank you. CMSS fit my need. I must have been phrasing something wrong in my search, because that never came up.

Thanks again :)

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I simply queue my music in Power DVD 6 and then use the Pro Logic IIx in Power DVD. Then in Power DVD settings ensure that you are in Pro Logic IIx MUSIC mode not movie as in movie mode everything comes from center, the surrounds don't have that much sound and the bass is very lacking. This enhances the music, uses all the speakers and also extracts extra surround material (e.g. vocal echoes, orchestral instruments).

Or using WMP I use the SRS CircleSurround II Trial plugin - although this only works for about 1 min before reverting to normal! :cry: If you have the money though you could buy this plugin and have infinite Circle Surround II music :lol:

CMSS is good enough for upmixing general sound though especially in games.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Well in games you get surround sound. You probably don't want CMSS on and fooling around with that, since that would destroy the discrete channels and overlay it with some bad matrixing.