5.1 S/PDIF audio problems DS3L

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Hey everyone,

I am attempting to connect my pc to my a/v receiver and get 5.1 dolby, but for some reason I can only get stereo sound. I have been reading that there is no driver for the realtek HD audio to support 5.1, but that's ridiculous, right? I mean, what's the point of having the HD audio output if there is no driver to support HD audio?

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I installed the latest drivers from Gigabyte's website, should I look on Realtek's?

Thanks

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Realtek HD audio supports 5.1 sound, But you need to supply it with a 5.1 source. What type of source are you trying to use and how are you making the connection to your a/v receiver?

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
well, when I use the 3D audio demo in the realtek/gigabyte control panel thing it only has sound coming out of the front two speakers, no center, sub, or rear. I'm connecting thruogh a digital optical cable. Also when I play call of duty I set the sound to 5.1 but its still stereo.

If I go into the windows volume control thing it shows vol controls for all the surround channels in analog, but the s/pdif vol control is gray. Also the receiver displays "stereo" as opposed to "dolby dig 5.1"

On my gigabyte board (GA-MA69GM-S2H), I had to go into the Realtek UI and enable 5.1 DTS to get surround sound for all sources. DVD's with DD still go to the receiver as DD 5.1 with this setting. Does your receiver support DTS?

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008

Where is this option in the UI? All i can select is 2-8channel speaker. Yes my receiver supports dolby digital/DTS.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I remember some(or all?) creative cards did not support surround sound through their digital outputs(unless it was surround sound from a dvd).
Maybe realtek might have the same issue, though I am no audio expert so I could be completely wrong. :p

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
One more thing, which operating system are you using? XP does not support 5.1 sound without the addition of the proper CODEC even with DVD's

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah Im using XP, there's definitely no support for 5.1? Why is there the optical audio port then?? I dont understand--there must be some way!

halcyon

Splendid

A long time ago...in a galaxy far far away...

Optical out was for 2-channel stereo only.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
With XP I know for 5.1 sound from DVDs you need to buy a copy of WinDVD or PowerDVD to get the CODEC to play 5.1 sound. Those free copys that come with DVD drives are not full versions of the software and do not include the needed CODEC. That is most likely the reason your S/PDIF volume control is grayed out. With the latest version of Windows Media Player you can go online thru Media Player and buy the needed CODEC from WinDVD or PowerDVD without buying the complete softwar package from them. Saves you a little money. Once you have the CODEC the computer will be able to play DVD's in 5.1 sound, don't know about games and music well its a stereo source and will play that way unless you use some type of expander for simulated 5.1 sound which doesn't really sound that great.

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
well that sucks. I can still get it through analog though right? my 5.1 computer speakers are in the other room (I dont have a monitor in there yet) so I havent tried those yet. Green, black and orange plugs mean semi-surround right--like front channel, rear channel, and sub/center channel?

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Before installing the audio driver, make sure the "Microsoft UAA Bus driver for High Definition
Audio" has been installed from the motherboard driver disk and your operating system has
been updated with the latest Service Pack for Windows.
(Note) 2/4/5.1/7.1-Channel Audio Configurations:
Refer to the following for multi-channel speaker configurations.
• 2-channel audio: Headphone or Line out.
• 4-channel audio: Front speaker out and Rear speaker out.
• 5.1-channel audio: Front speaker out, Rear speaker out, and Center/Subwoofer speaker out.
• 7.1-channel audio: Front speaker out, Rear speaker out, Center/Subwoofer speaker out, and Side speaker out.

Found on page 71 of your Manual.^

I have heard that SP3 takes out the Microsoft UAA Bus driver for High Definition Audio in some cases and it had to be reinstalled by exploring the installation drivers and utilities disk.

Did you install SP3 by any chance? Im sure you did if you have XP.
Look in your device manager...any Yellow Marks?

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008

Why wont it do 5.1 in COD4 when I set it to 5.1 mode in the game? Do I need some codec or something still?

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Without DDL or DTS Connect you can't get surround sound in games through the digital outputs. Check the links I posted above :)

Technically the Realtek ALC888 supports DDL and I think DTS Connect also, but it isn't enabled on the DS3L. I've spent many hours trying to "unlock" this functionality, but it doesn't seem possible.

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
Wow, that's too bad. Maybe I will call Gigabyte tomorrow to confirm this, maybe they will tell us how to get it? Have you tried calling their tech support before? hmmm, damn.

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
I got Dolby Digital now in movies! I had to install AC3 Filter: http://ac3filter.net/

well, that's a step at least. Now I'll check games and stuff and report. Nice.

mrmez

Splendid
Ive got the same prob on my Asus board using coax dig out.
Same realtek HD.

Solution: Set number of speakers to 2.
My receiver tends to sort the 5.1 channels out just fine.
The demo DOES send the right sounds to the right speakers when u set it to 2 speakers.

Give it a go.

umich2010

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
mrmez-

That actually worked! who would have thought? Do you have the AC3 filter installed or should I get rid of that? Nice little trick thanks!