Question 5.1 Sound System won't work, works in setup

Aug 27, 2019
Hello everyone.
Recently I bought a used PC and wanted to use it with my 5.1 sound system.

First I tried setting it up using WIndows 10 sound thingie. Clicking on speakers on graphical interface all the speakers worked. But playing youtube or media player I was only able to get front speakers working. (Sorry it's not in English, but should be understandable)
WFYO49B.png

I've installed Realtek drivers from MSI site. Same issue. Only if I enable the bass option, I get bass, but still no center or back speakers. Tried installing bunch of other software from MSI website with no change. Including Nahimic 2 sound software.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B150-GAMING-M3#down-driver&Win10 64
u8nhtXH.png

I've unistalled all audio drivers in device manager and installed only realtek and nothing changed.

If I boot Ubuntu from USB and went to youtube the 5.1 sound system worked fine with zero changes.
I swapped SSD for another Windows 10 install from diffreant PC and I had the same issue.

Anyone has any suggestion?

Specs:
Intel 6500
MSI B150 Gaming M3
MSI 960 3GB
SSD with WIndows 10 64bit

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What about speaker fill in Ubuntu? It might be on already. I don't use Ubuntu so wouldn't know for sure.

YouTube really isn't good for surround sound testing, most if not all tests there or videos are two channels.

What other media are you playing?

If you test those speakers individually in Windows or Realtek do each speaker sound properly? If so, surround is working properly and it is the stuff you're playing that is not. Theres proper surround and then there's virtual. Windows only handles real surround content ie games and movies.

Try speaker fill in Realtek, it'll give a stereo affect across all speakers but you won't get unique individual signals to different speakers on YouTube like you would with a proper surround setup and content that offers it.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019
Boju thanks for the response
Turns out that the Fill option under Enchanment should be one of first things to turn on when it comes to 5.1 setup.

I've tried Sonic Audio with no change, I need to make user account to try out Dolby.

Interesting. I've download a 5.1 sample file with video and played with diffreant programs with some interesting results:
Win 10 video app & Media player, no sound
BS Player Only Stereo
VLC media player Full 5.1 surround

Turned on fill sound on now youtube on firefox works in 5.1 and Stereo on Chrome.

So currently my audio works diffreant in diffreant media players and web browsers. I guess it should do for now.