[SOLVED] 5.1 vs 2.1 computer speakers.

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Hey all. I was wondering if there are any big differences or pros to a 5.1 sound set up on PC these days? I know that the speakers behind me are a huge pain in the a$$ because of the wires. I also know not all games support 5.1.

Can anyone tell me if its actually worth buying a 5.1 system? Thanks.

Solution
If it is gaming you are talking about, it is really worth it. Most games support 5.1 and/or 7.1 surround. But speakers are yes problem.

Buy a quality headphone supporting 7.1 for gaming. And use a small 2 speaker solution for other purposes. I have Arctis 5 and it is good.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
If it is gaming you are talking about, it is really worth it. Most games support 5.1 and/or 7.1 surround. But speakers are yes problem.

Buy a quality headphone supporting 7.1 for gaming. And use a small 2 speaker solution for other purposes. I have Arctis 5 and it is good.

Solution
I agree a 5.1/7.1 setup is very worth it and really adds to the gaming experience. However it’s not the most convenient audio solution for many setups.

Gaming headset with virtual surround sound are no where close to a real surround sound setup but obviously more convenient. However they come at a cost of audio quality, they modify the sound to try and trick the ear into believing the sound is directional. Personally I prefer a good stereo headphone over a virtual surround sound one.