Question 5-15 second freezes with Audio working

godofwartx

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Hello folks,

I am experiencing some issues with my computer that are driving me crazy. I am experiencing freezes every few minutes for 5-15 seconds where my mouse is frozen and system unresponsive to inputs (such as keyboard, CTRL-ALT-DEL, etc) but will "catch up" 5-15 seconds later. Audio will continue to play as normal but video will hang (such as having a conference call or youtube player up)

Only activities i have been doing to notice the behavior is browsing firefox and chrome and playing Subnautica: Below Zero.

Things i have tried to look at so far:

• Updated BIOS
  • Updated Antivirus
  • Updated all drivers, including realtek audio HD drivers
  • Reinstalled latest Nvidia drivers
  • Had Speccy show a secondary and older HDD that looked like it was beginning to fail so i disconnected it
  • Had installed an EVO980 M2 PCI-E SSD about 5 days ago , removed it and placed it aside as soon as this began to happen
  • Ran the windows memory scan tool
  • Ran chkdsk
  • Monitoring Event Viewer for anything suspicious
  • Tried to slim down my startup programs
  • Used computer in safe mode with networking, i didnt experience any issue but may need more data/time using it to confirm
  • Encountered a DCP_Watchdog_Violation BSOD this morning, reverted to prior IDE driver as per : https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-fix-dpc-watchdog-violation-windows-10,36200.html
    • Not sure it was related to what im experiencing or not but considering my system was perfectly stable up until a few days ago i dont know.

As i typed up this post, the freeze happened twice and affected me for about 5-15 seconds each. I suspect a software/driver issue rather than hardware but thats just a hunch based on what im still seeing.

I feel like i'm just throwing everything against the wall and seeing what sticks.

I am attaching my Speccy report with all my system specs.

godofwartx

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
So i got another DCP_Watchdog_Violation BSOD, and i used Samsung Magician to look at my SSD firmware and saw it was running RVT03B6Q and updated it on both my 860 EVOs to RVT04B6Q.

Fingers crossed thats the culprit.