Question 5.1ghz oc staying at 4.8

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Evga x299 ftw k
I5 7640x
24gb 2400mhz ram

About a month ago something in my pc died so I'm using brand new ram, cpu, and motherboard. My cpu overclocks much better than my last one, completely stable at 1.3v 5.1ghz. My old motherboard didnt do this, but for some reason my cpu clock keeps jumping back and forth between 5.1 and 4.8. Is it supposed to do that or is there a setting I need to change in bios? This is my first evga board so the bios is still new to me. My 360mm aio is keeping it at 55° under load so I'm not thermal throttling. Maybe it has something to do with intel turbo being enabled?

Also, in MSI afterburner, I have the voltage slider turned all the way up. I dont know anything about overclocking a gpu. I'm assuming it's safe to keep it like that? I have the power and temp limit turned all the way up and I'm using the stock fan curve, it doesnt get over 65°. Its a MSI 1060 6gb gaming x. Should I keep fans on 100% so that it doesnt downclock? Is that something I even need to worry about?

My ram is gskill value c17 2400. I have 2x4gb and 2x8gb. I just got these today from gskill and they're brand new. On the gskill stickers, it has a number printed on it. I believe 2 of the stickers say 2600 and the others say something similar. Does this mean anything? Overclocking my ram is originally what caused something in my pc to die. Is it even worth messing with? Would I see any fps improvement in games if I overclock my memory? Bios says my ram is working at 2400mhz but also says XMP not supported. Is this because its 2133 chips?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
but for some reason my cpu clock keeps jumping back and forth between 5.1 and 4.8
Doing what?
Could be a lower power state when nothing is happening ("High Performance" power plan in Windows should peg it to 5.1)
Could be an AVX offset -3, depending on your OC and the workload at the time.

Maybe it has something to do with intel turbo being enabled?
If you have an adaptive OC set, then yes, quite possibly - It will clock down as necessary, and boost when required. A 300MHz swing seems really tight though.

Also, in MSI afterburner, I have the voltage slider turned all the way up. I dont know anything about overclocking a gpu. I'm assuming it's safe to keep it like that? I have the power and temp limit turned all the way up and I'm using the stock fan curve, it doesnt get over 65°. Its a MSI 1060 6gb gaming x. Should I keep fans on 100% so that it doesnt downclock? Is that something I even need to worry about?
With a 1060, or almost any modern card, frankly.... The voltage slider does exactly nothing. It's a placebo.
Power/voltage limits are baked in at a vBIOS level, so it's perfectly 'safe'. For all intents and purposes, you can discount that you even did it.

I have 2x4gb and 2x8gb.

On the gskill stickers, it has a number printed on it. I believe 2 of the stickers say 2600 and the others say something similar. Does this mean anything?

Overclocking my ram is originally what caused something in my pc to die.
What kits did you buy, specifically? There will be a whole string of numbers, not just "2600"

Mixing & matching kits/modules can be problematic. Not in terms of component 'death', generally although I'm sure possibly. Instability is a distinct possibility though.

Is it even worth messing with? Would I see any fps improvement in games if I overclock my memory?
Quite possibility - Whether results would be substantial or not, given the headroom on 2400MHz kits is the unknown quantity..... but you're fighting quite the battle with mismatched kits.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Doing what?
Could be a lower power state when nothing is happening ("High Performance" power plan in Windows should peg it to 5.1)
Could be an AVX offset -3, depending on your OC and the workload at the time.

If you have an adaptive OC set, then yes, quite possibly - It will clock down as necessary, and boost when required. A 300MHz swing seems really tight though.

With a 1060, or almost any modern card, frankly.... The voltage slider does exactly nothing. It's a placebo.
Power/voltage limits are baked in at a vBIOS level, so it's perfectly 'safe'. For all intents and purposes, you can discount that you even did it.

What kits did you buy, specifically? There will be a whole string of numbers, not just "2600"

Mixing & matching kits/modules can be problematic. Not in terms of component 'death', generally although I'm sure possibly. Instability is a distinct possibility though.

Quite possibility - Whether results would be substantial or not, given the headroom on 2400MHz kits is the unknown quantity..... but you're fighting quite the battle with mismatched kits.
The frequency jumps around while playing games and during stress test. I do have it set to adaptive. It jumped between 4.8 and 5.1 when idling too.

The ram isnt a kit at all I guess, they're individually packaged but I bought them from newegg as a kit of 2. They have the same timings and speed and all that just different capacity. The gskill sticker that's on the actual stick says 2600. The ones that died didnt have any numbers on the sticker, that's why I think maybe it means the highest clock it could get on 1.2v? I dont know. There really is no explanation as to why it died. The overclock I did was 1.3v 2600mhz and then all 4 sticks died. I RMAd the cpu and ram and both intel and gskill sent me a replacement so I have no way of knowing which one was bad. I have a new motherboard because I thought buying a new one would fix the issue but it didnt and it's a nice board so I kept it.

F4-2400C17S-4GNT
F4-2400C17S-4GNT
F4-2400C17S-8GNT
F4-2400C17S-8GNT

I would take a picture of the sticker but I dont feel like taking it apart again and I just cleaned the fingerprints off of the glass.

And the OC is 1.3v core and 51 on all cores. I didnt change anything else.

I just went into bios and the AVX ratio offset is set to 3, should I put it to 0?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Evga x299 ftw k
I5 7640x
1060 6gb
24gb 2400mhz ram
1000w gold psu
360mm aio

I'm mainly going for best game performance with my cpu overclock. Should I overclock BCLK? Its default is set to 100mhz. Says adjust at your own risk, can this hurt my components?

I have my core target voltage set to 1.300 and the clock set to 5.1ghz with AVX set to 2.

Should I set up offset voltage? If so what should I set it to? I dont really understand what it does.

Should I mess with Core PLL?

My cache is set to stock which is 4.4ghz, on my last 7640x overclocking the cache gave me better benchmark scores but on this new cpu the highest I can go on cache is 4.6 1.3v before it crashes. My last one went all the way up to 5 on the cache.

Theres a bunch of oc settings that are new to me. Which ones do you think would be the most beneficial? My aio keeps my cpu around 65° under load so I have a good amount of headroom.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
I5 7640x
Evga x299 ftw k
360mm aio
1000w psu

I was able to get my cpu up to 5.1ghz 0 AVX on 1.325 volts. Temps are pretty good staying around 75, but the benchmark always runs the cpu hotter than the games I play so probably 65-72 in game. Safe for everyday use? I plan on upgrading the cpu at some point to a 7900x or a 10900x.

Lutfij

Titan
Try and see if you can hold at 1.3v, that would be a good area to hover around though apart from the voltages, make sure you're keeping that processor as cool as possible. Pumping too much power can actually be part of the degradation process, heat is the other part.

Reactions: sodium.in.toilet

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Try and see if you can hold at 1.3v, that would be a good area to hover around though apart from the voltages, make sure you're keeping that processor as cool as possible. Pumping too much power can actually be part of the degradation process, heat is the other part.
The best I can do on 1.3 is 4.9. I'm not saying theres a big difference between 4.9 and 5.1, but I just got this refurbished cpu from Intel about a week ago and I only plan to use it for maybe a year before upgrading. But maybe I'll put it in my old motherboard and have a second pc made of spare parts since it does fine air cooled.

I also forgot to ask about cache. Should I oc the cache too?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS