[SOLVED] 5.4k RPM 32MB vs 7.2k RPM 16mb

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey everyone, I was wondering which would be better for gaming: A 7.2k RPM HDD with 16MB cache, or a 5400 RPM HDD with 32MB cache. I'd be using these as secondary drives.

Thanks!

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Since being used for mass storage and games, the cache won't matter much and the 7200rpm will be faster.

But honestly, if you've got $50 and live in the USA, then the new 2TB barracuda compute would be the best choice.

I actually have the 2TB compute in my system. I'm just asking cause I have the hard drives in question already, I'm just wondering which one I should use as a benchmarking hard drive because I flip PCs. Thanks!

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I actually have the 2TB compute in my system. I'm just asking cause I have the hard drives in question already, I'm just wondering which one I should use as a benchmarking hard drive because I flip PCs. Thanks!
Ah well, for gaming as I stated the cache won't matter because it's so small and game data is so large. The cache only helps with small files and data for frequently requested small things.

So the faster rotation speed of the hard drive will result in higher data transfer speeds which results in faster loading times as well as faster streaming of data for when games load objects and other such things while you are playing

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Ah well, for gaming as I stated the cache won't matter because it's so small and game data is so large. The cache only helps with small files and data for frequently requested small things.

So the faster rotation speed of the hard drive will result in higher data transfer speeds which results in faster loading times as well as faster streaming of data for when games load objects and other such things while you are playing
Thanks for that info! I'll keep that in mind in the future.

If you don't mind, would a 5400 RPM HDD still be at least halfway decent for a secondary gaming drive or no?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
It'll work fine. It's can potentially result in a few frames per second less in specific games that load a certain way, but mostly it'll only have an effect on loading times and object pop in.

Consoles like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X ship with 5400rpm drives by default.

TRENDING THREADS