5 bars for a short while after resetting wireless adapter, then goes back to 2 bars

jy.heidner

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am currently getting 2 bars of wifi signal using a laptop in a room very close to the router. Other laptops as well as my smartphone are getting 5. Whenever I reset my wireless adapter, or even just change any setting, it goes to 5 bars for about a minute, then back to 2. This means the problem can't be hardware failure.

I've un- and reinstalled the wireless driver and rebooted the router, but none of this has fixed the problem. In my house, where the router is much further away from the location where I use my laptop, I get 4 bars constantly. Therefore I assume the culprit is the router, or the wireless network itself. But at the same time, no other device has trouble getting 5 bars, only my one laptop does, so I am not sure if it could be interference or something similar. Furthermore, I haven't updated anything or changed hardware recently.

Since this is not a good time to reinstall the OS or do a factory reset, I'd like to see if someone has an actual solution to this issue. Please let me know which information or logs to provide, if any.

My OS is Windows 10 64 bit and my adapter is the Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Windows 10 has been causing issues with Atheros/Qualcomm/Braodcomm wireless devices as well as Realtek Audio chips. Mind stating what the make and model of your laptop is? Also include the SKU to your laptop. Then pass on the version of your BIOS you're currently on.

jy.heidner

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
Thanks for your answer.

The laptop is an ASUS N551JK, and the BIOS I am using is 203, the latest version. Everything else is also up to date.

I am aware of Atheros wireless devices being problematic, but haven't had the slightest of issues until now. So hopefully there is a software-level fix for this.

As for the SKU, the only thing I can find is "System SKU" with a value of "ASUS-NotebookSKU". That is most likely not the information you need. Where can I find the SKU you asked for?