Question 5 beeps on startup

Ray Plays

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
Hi, i have a dell alienware aurora r4 ms-7591 motherboard, with 6x 4gb drr3 1333mhz, an msi gt710 2gb and the i7-960 3,2 ghz, i builded this about a week, and everything is work fine until today, because when i turned it on, the bios loading screen only showed up for 1 second then beeps 5 times and the screen stay black, i searched on the internet for what the 5 beeps mean, and someone says there is the problem with the CMOS battery, and someone says the problem is with the cpu fan, i have a cooler master and it's work perfectly, after searching a lot on the internet i tried to turn off the screen and then turn it on again, and i got "image" but only for 1 second, and the screen again goes back to black, after that i replaced the CMOS battery, from my last motherboard because i doesn't have a new one, and i cleared the CMOS, turned on the pc and again thats happened, bios loadinh screen for 1 second and 5 beeps and black screen, i tried to switch rams in the ram slots, and try to turn on with only 1 stick of ram and putting the videocard into the second pcie slot, and nothing changed, i'm really scared i think i have something whit my cpu, please help me!
:C ;(
Sry for bad english!

What might have changed recently?
The cmos battery is used to retain bios settings across full power off.
For example, if the time of day is not correct windows will have problems.

If a fresh cmos battery does not fix your problem, run memtest86 which is a ram diagnostic app that does not use windows. It boots from a usb stick.
I will test the basic functionality of your pc.

Ray Plays

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
I bought today 2 brand new CMOS battery and it still beeps 5 times, i cleared the CMOS again, and again only got the bios loading screen for one second then black screen and still 5 beeps, what can i do now?

Ray Plays

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
What might have changed recently?
The cmos battery is used to retain bios settings across full power off.
For example, if the time of day is not correct windows will have problems.

If a fresh cmos battery does not fix your problem, run memtest86 which is a ram diagnostic app that does not use windows. It boots from a usb stick.
I will test the basic functionality of your pc.
After some bios reset i heared 3 beeps and then the 5 beeps, so i turned it off, taked out 5 stick of ram and reseted the bios again i tried to turn it on with only 1 stick of ram, then the first 3 beeps disappeared but the 5 beep still there, last time when my pc work perfectly the clock and time was incorrect, and i installed an old hdd and changed the boot because the system puts the old hdd to boot first

Last edited:

Ray Plays

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
I didn't know what the heck ,but i connected back my old motherboard because i have the memtest in the hdd and i want to copy that to an usb, and what happened? I started my pc and it started but the bios screen again disappeared and black screen, idk ._. Usually if my screen isn't connected the screen led is blinking and say "no video input" and "check cable connection" but now the led i glowing and the screen is black, is my screen broken?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Screen broken:

Do you have another known working video cable?

Do you have another known working monitor (or even a TV that supports PC video input)?

If so, try that instead of the current screen.

General suggestions:

Leave nothing to chance: E.g., per @geofelt's suggestion correct the system date and time as soon as possible.

Key is to find some stable working setup via Safe Mode perhaps and the motherboards' built in GPU.

Another suggestion is to try to slow down and be methodical. If you keep changing things and more than one thing at a time you may well end up going in circles.

Once the pc is functional then you again have control and can make hardware, software, and configuration changes as desired to rebuild to the desired performance levels. Step by step.

Do not go to old HDD's for drivers and utilities. Download fresh via the applicable manufacturer's websites.

Very much understand that a malfunctioning pc is not at all a fun experience. Simply step back, take a deep breath, and do not rush what you do and how you do it. Continue reading and researching - just do not immediately react. Validate first.