[SOLVED] 5 beeps on startup ?

Jul 25, 2021
Hello friends,

I brought my work computer home so I could work from home. My computer, which works flawlessly at the company, started working as soon as I plugged it in at home, without even pressing the power button, and after 10-20 seconds, it beeps 5 times, while nothing appeared on the screen. Later, the same scenario occurred in all my attempts.

Then I tried the suggestions I saw on the internet such as removing and installing the ram and video card, cleaning the slots, removing and installing the bios battery, but it did not help.

The next day, I took the computer to my office and on my first try in the morning, it gave 5 beeps again. Afterwards, the computer was plugged in for 2 hours but waited in the off position. After this time, when I tried to open it, the computer booted without any problems. Then I took the computer back home and unfortunately I encountered the same error again.

It's not over.. Then, the next day, when I brought another computer from the company that was working without any problems (I unplugged it, plugged it back in and tried it), I got the 5 beep error again. Then, when I took the computer to the computer shop to replace the bios battery, the computer did not give any beep errors in the tests we made there, but it froze at the bios startup. When we changed the bios battery, this problem also disappeared and the computer started without problems.

I brought the computer home again and TADAAA.. Same error again. As you all will think, it seemed certain that there was a problem in the electrical installation of the house (I tried it with a surge-protected, grounded extension cable before). Then I called an electrician to the house and had the electrical installation of the house checked. What the electrician said was that there was no problem with the grounding and voltage values of the house (220V (standard in my country) and the grounding is active).

The problem has now turned into a puzzle, I would like to get opinions of anyone who has had a similar problem or has solved such a problem ?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Oh my, that's a nice puzzle. But i have few ideas what might be going on.

started working as soon as I plugged it in at home, without even pressing the power button

PC must not start at once, when plugged into mains. This points towards the PSU issue and at this point, PSU would be the 1st thing i'd replace.

However, you haven't disclosed what your PC system specs are. All what i can read from your description, is that you have a desktop PC. If you do have a prebuilt PC, e.g Dell, then PSU replacement isn't as easy as buying new ATX12V PSU and swapping it out. Dell prebuilt PCs have proprietary hardware in them and it is very difficult to find replacement parts for it.

So, first things first: What is your full system specs...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

started working as soon as I plugged it in at home, without even pressing the power button

PC must not start at once, when plugged into mains. This points towards the PSU issue and at this point, PSU would be the 1st thing i'd replace.

However, you haven't disclosed what your PC system specs are. All what i can read from your description, is that you have a desktop PC. If you do have a prebuilt PC, e.g Dell, then PSU replacement isn't as easy as buying new ATX12V PSU and swapping it out. Dell prebuilt PCs have proprietary hardware in them and it is very difficult to find replacement parts for it.

So, first things first: What is your full system specs? E.g CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU, PSU, HDD, SSD etc make and models (or part numbers)?

Without us knowing your MoBo make and model (or part number), these beeps doesn't help to troubleshoot the issue. Hence why system specs are required for troubleshooting.

Solution
Jul 25, 2021

So, first things first: What is your full system specs? E.g CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU, PSU, HDD, SSD etc make and models (or part numbers)?

Without us knowing your MoBo make and model (or part number), these beeps doesn't help to troubleshoot the issue. Hence why system specs are required for troubleshooting.
Thank you for your reply, i am going to share it as soon as possible in here.