[SOLVED] 5 GigaBit ethernet switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Hello everyone . I have an Asus Maximus XI Extreme Gaming motherboard which has a 5G ethernet port , so in order to use it I need a 5G switch if I am correct ?
So I did look on ebay for 5G network switches and gosh prices are insane LOL
I don't need many ports on the switch , I just want to get 5G ethernet speed on my PC , that's all !
Any recommendation on what is a good 5GB or 10GB network switch with reasonable price ?
Also another question , currently I am using MOCA adapter to get ethernet in my room , Can I install the switch to MOCA adapter in my room ?
Thank you :)

Solution
Hello everyone . I have an Asus Maximus XI Extreme Gaming motherboard which has a 5G ethernet port , so in order to use it I need a 5G switch if I am correct ?
I don't need many ports on the switch , I just want to get 5G ethernet speed on my PC , that's all !
Any recommendation on what is a good 5GB or 10GB network switch with reasonable price ?
Also another question , currently I am using MOCA adapter to get ethernet in my room , Can I install the switch to MOCA adapter in my room ?
2.5Gbit and 5Gbit had a lot of promise. Faster LAN speeds without having to totally redo your wired network cabling. It just hasn't worked out. Adoption...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Having that speed of network will not help with your internet speed. It will only help when transferring between other systems that operate at that speed as well, on your local network. Do you have any other devices capable of these speeds?

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Having that speed of network will not help with your internet speed. It will only help when transferring between other systems that operate at that speed as well, on your local network. Do you have any other devices capable of these speeds?
Thank you for the information :) I do not have any other devices . so you think there is absolutely no advantage in getting 5GB besides transferring between 2 devices ?

5g is a strange speed, not sure why they just do not put 10g ports on. The cost is almost the same. I suppose they did no expect the cost of 10g ports to drop so fast.

Still even using the port inside you house needs a very special setup. You could use it to say copy data to a NAS type of device. The problem is that even if both your pc and the NAS have 5g ports you will find limits in your disk systems. You have to build everything to take advantage if it.

Pretty much manufacture put these fast ethernet ports on pc as marketing tools. People just see bigger number and think it is better.

kanewolf

Titan
2.5Gbit and 5Gbit had a lot of promise. Faster LAN speeds without having to totally redo your wired network cabling. It just hasn't worked out. Adoption has been slow to non-existent. It could really help with backups and other LAN traffic.
As all previous answers have stated, you won't get any benefit from the 5Gbit capability of your motherboard. Stick with 1Gbit.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.