5-Inch Full HD Smartphones to be More Common in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I don't know, if it fits comfortably in my pocket sure, but not much bigger than that. There is a point where portability will be a factor too...

Full HD resolution on the other hand is a welcome improvement!

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Can't figure out why people like the bigger phones so much.

The full 5" screen phones don't fit comfortably in my pocket. Shopping for a new phone right now myself, and I've already ruled out the 5" Droid DNA, 4.8" Galaxy S3, and 4.7" Droid Razr Maxx because neither of them fit in my pocket comfortably. Those are like the top three Android phones out there.

I must have small pockets or somethin'

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]evan1715[/nom]good, the bigger the screen the better.[/citation]
There are practical limits to how large a "phone" can be.

Also, the display is the biggest battery drain on most devices by a fair margin and that power draw is almost directly proportional to display area, which means bigger displays will eat into battery life. Not necessarily a good thing for people who want to use their phones mostly as phones.

1080p on a 5" screen seems overkill to me but I suppose we have reached the point where manufacturers are starting to have to throw everything including the kitchen sink in to justify their price tags and convince people to open their wallets.

I cannot imagine having anything larger than my Droid Razr Maxx's 4.7". When is enough enough? Getting to 6" and up is pushing tablet territory for crying out loud. Who wants to carry a 6" phone in their pockets? Women can put them in purses, but men don't have that option (straight men anyway).

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
The bigger it is and the thicker it is the longer is its endurance.
Bigger screen! Thicker battery! All for your ever tighter hipster pants' pockets!!!

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Screen size doesn't affect battery life as the Gnote 2 has proven. It has a better battery life than the S3 and most smartphones out right now.

aragis

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
[citation][nom]chase3567[/nom]Screen size doesn't affect battery life as the Gnote 2 has proven. It has a better battery life than the S3 and most smartphones out right now.[/citation]

Bigger display means bigger phone and bigger phone means that you get room for a big battery as well. If big screen meant poor battery life, tablets battery life would suck, but the opposite is actually true.

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]The bigger and thicker it is the longer its endurance isBigger screen thicker battery for tighter pockets[/citation]

RIP English language.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
can't help put thinking that some guys used to put a sock into they pants to add sole 'bulge.
Nowadays a phone will do the trick.

Comedians make jokes about the 'bricks' we used to have as phones back in the 70s and 80s.
Then we went smaller and smaller... now we are slowly getting back to brick size.

But the good thing is, they are Smart Bricks :)

[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Can't figure out why people like the bigger phones so much.The full 5" screen phones don't fit comfortably in my pocket. Shopping for a new phone right now myself, and I've already ruled out the 5" Droid DNA, 4.8" Galaxy S3, and 4.7" Droid Razr Maxx because neither of them fit in my pocket comfortably. Those are like the top three Android phones out there.I must have small pockets or somethin'[/citation]
Cargo pants and shorts. They have big enough pockets to fit a small laptop, and can be classy enough to match almost any occasion :D

I'm finally getting my first smartphone this week, and I am heavily leaning towards that nice big Lumia 920. Size and weight are of little concern.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
As a big fan and user of the Droid DNA, I have gotten used to it in about a day after switching from a HTC HD2. Love the 1080p screen, apps scale phenomenally and it doesn't drain the battery as much as I would have thought. The DNA also standbys amazingly and after common use with LTE running 24/7, it remains with about a 70% by the end of a working day.

The 5" screen isn't a problem for me probably because I have big hands compared to others and I have no difficulty touching one end of the screen to the other end(like the Apple commercial, "Your thumb goes from here, to here"). It's probably too big for most and I would say around 4.3"-4.7" is more ideal, but a big hand user like myself, I love the 5" display!

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
I fail to see the need for displaying 1080p on a 5" screen, 720p is way more than enough.
Now outputting 1080p to another monitor is a different story...

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]To a point.[/citation]
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]There are practical limits to how large a "phone" can be.Also, the display is the biggest battery drain on most devices by a fair margin and that power draw is almost directly proportional to display area, which means bigger displays will eat into battery life. Not necessarily a good thing for people who want to use their phones mostly as phones.1080p on a 5" screen seems overkill to me but I suppose we have reached the point where manufacturers are starting to have to throw everything including the kitchen sink in to justify their price tags and convince people to open their wallets.[/citation]
He's being sarcastic...

[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Can't figure out why people like the bigger phones so much.The full 5" screen phones don't fit comfortably in my pocket. Shopping for a new phone right now myself, and I've already ruled out the 5" Droid DNA, 4.8" Galaxy S3, and 4.7" Droid Razr Maxx because neither of them fit in my pocket comfortably. Those are like the top three Android phones out there.I must have small pockets or somethin'[/citation]
Because Android appeals to customers who want more out of their phone, while at the same time hates Apple.

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Cargo pants and shorts. They have big enough pockets to fit a small laptop, and can be classy enough to match almost any occasion I'm finally getting my first smartphone this week, and I am heavily leaning towards that nice big Lumia 920. Size and weight are of little concern.[/citation]
Cargo pants and shorts are NOT classy.

[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]Yep, it appears so.[/citation]
Or maybe he has good fashion sense.

[citation][nom]chase3567[/nom]Screen size doesn't affect battery life as the Gnote 2 has proven. It has a better battery life than the S3 and most smartphones out right now.[/citation]
The Gnote 2 has a battery that's almost 50% bigger than the S3.

[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]I cannot imagine having anything larger than my Droid Razr Maxx's 4.7". When is enough enough? Getting to 6" and up is pushing tablet territory for crying out loud. Who wants to carry a 6" phone in their pockets? Women can put them in purses, but men don't have that option (straight men anyway).[/citation]
Someone with fashion sense here, but most "men" around here probably wear x-large cargos that can fit a 13" laptop and a women's purse.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]440 ppi that is nice, wish that your average desktop monitor could match.[/citation]
I thought everyone dissed Apple for emphasizing their ppi specs. Double standards I guess.

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]There are practical limits to how large a "phone" can be.Also, the display is the biggest battery drain on most devices by a fair margin and that power draw is almost directly proportional to display area, which means bigger displays will eat into battery life. Not necessarily a good thing for people who want to use their phones mostly as phones.1080p on a 5" screen seems overkill to me but I suppose we have reached the point where manufacturers are starting to have to throw everything including the kitchen sink in to justify their price tags and convince people to open their wallets.[/citation]
True, but bigger phones can also have bigger batteries. A battery's storage is based on volume, so it might even out.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]440 ppi that is nice, wish that your average desktop monitor could match.[/citation]

You think? Anything above 300ppi and the human eye isn't going to be able to tell the difference. The pixels are so tiny at that point that it won't matter how you blend them. The wasted resolution strains the CPU/battery unnecessarily when a lower resolution would have sufficed. It would have actually been better to run it at 720p so spare processing could have added smoothing techniques.

Devices made by CEOs who just want to copy others and show higher numbers rather than designed by people who actually understand technology. Devices to be sold to customers who buy things because they're new and have fancy stickers rather than the best tech. They don't care if it doesn't fit in your pocket, just buy it already.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I have Samsung Galaxy Note II which sports a 5.5" screen. It's perfect size for what I use it for. On occasion it barely fits in my pocket but can't imagine 6.3" would do?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]You think? Anything above 300ppi and the human eye...[/citation]

The human ear also can only hear up to about 20KHz (depending on age).
and yet a clarinet produces overtones that are well above it and are responsible for making one clarinet playing a 'C' sound different than another clarinet.

Obviously the ear can hear something above the 20KHz 'limit' or both insruments would sound the same.

The same holds true for vision. There is a difference between the limit we consciously 'see'; and the part we see without knowing.

Besides, I have a feeling that playing back 1080p content on a native 1080p screen is more efficient than having a processor recalculate each frame down to say 1280x720 or whatever your device has.
Any engineers here who could comment on that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.