Question 5 MB per download, even though 25 MB max speed.

Jul 7, 2019
So since some time, all my downloads seem to be capped around 5.5 MB/s. I can run multiple downloads at that speed, but none seem to go over it to the max speed of 25 MB/s. Starting multiple downloads will simply eventually stack up to 25 MB/s, and stop there, so the internet shouldn't be the issue. Doing a speedtest gives me the expected value of 200megabit, but all downloads are capped at 5.5 somehow. We've checked the router, and internet cable, and both are fine and should be giving the full speed.

Any idea what the problem could be?

USAFRet

Titan
"downloads" from where?

Not everywhere can or will give you a download at the full speed that your pipe can receive.

megabytes vs megabits. Your ISP and speedtest report in megabits/sec. Steam reports in megabytes/sec.
Approx 8:1 ratio
200megabits/sec from speedtest.net is pretty much exactly 25 megabytes/sec from Steam.

Jul 7, 2019
"downloads" from where?

Not everywhere can or will give you a download at the full speed that your pipe can receive.

megabytes vs megabits. Your ISP and speedtest report in megabits/sec. Steam reports in megabytes/sec.
Approx 8:1 ratio
200megabits/sec from speedtest.net is pretty much exactly 25 megabytes/sec from Steam.

Downloads as in game updates (battle.net/steam), downloads from sites, and all that crap. And yes, i do know the difference between MB and Mb. I used to always get 25 Megabyte/s from battle.net and steam, but now thats 5.5 Megabytes/s. I can still reach a total of 25 MB across multiple downloads, but not in 1 download. Downloadspeeds will add up until the 25 Megabyte/s is reached, and then slow down if more is needed to distribute i guess

Jul 7, 2019
My brother is on the same network as I am, with the same Battle.net and steam launcher. He always gets 25MB/s if he downloads on both of these platforms. When I however download something, I only get 5.5 MB/s, so this cannot really be a steam/battle.net issue. I have checked, and there are no limits set in place on either of them, so the problem seems to be on my pc.

USAFRet

Titan
My brother is on the same network as I am, with the same Battle.net and steam launcher. He always gets 25MB/s if he downloads on both of these platforms. When I however download something, I only get 5.5 MB/s, so this cannot really be a steam/battle.net issue. I have checked, and there are no limits set in place on either of them, so the problem seems to be on my pc.
speedtest.net shows you the full 200 megabits sec.
Stacking steam downloads gets you the full 25 megabytes/sec.

There is seemingly nothing wrong on your PC, unless you have some setting in the actual Steam client.

Jul 7, 2019
You cannot stack Steam/Battle.net updates/downloads. I have stacked them with internet downloads and downloads from other platforms. I will only get a maximum of 5.5 MB/s in both steam and battle.net and per individual file download on the internet a maximum of 5.5MB/s. Clearly this problem cannot exist on all these platforms at once because of a checked setting IN those respective clients. (i've checked and there are no limits).

USAFRet

Titan
You cannot stack Steam/Battle.net updates/downloads. I have stacked them with internet downloads and downloads from other platforms. I will only get a maximum of 5.5 MB/s in both steam and battle.net and per individual file download on the internet a maximum of 5.5MB/s. Clearly this problem cannot exist on all these platforms at once because of a checked setting IN those respective clients. (i've checked and there are no limits).
By "stacking" I meant 5.5 for each individual file you are downloading. Resulting in 25megabytes total.

Jul 7, 2019
Well yes I thought I made that obvious. The obvious problem you are not adressing is that I cannot reach 25MB/s on a SINGLE download, which is what the whole problem is.

Jul 7, 2019
Well, it cannot be the steam client only, because every client maxes out at 5.5 MB/s, it cannot be the router, since we've done a hard reset basically creating a new internet so all limits that could've been in place no longer exist, so it should be on my OS. But where?..... there are no limits or restrictions set in settings, and the network settings all seem to be correct.
I've checked the TCP parameters and the windows auto tuning is also disabled, so I'm kinda lost as to where to go next.