Question 5 minute boot time!

Sep 18, 2019
Hello,

I'm tired... I've a custom build PC that takes 5 minutes to boot. I know the specs are good, I've recently cleaned the hardware, I've tried a 1000 different things.
But still it takes 5 minutes to boot. I'm probably missing something really stupid, but I hope somebody here can help me, because I can't take this nonsense anymore.

<<Edited by Moderator>>

Intro

Today I did a refresh with Windows 10 (due to an windows update error I was getting en some other stuff). So all my programs are gone, but I still have my files. I did a couple of different options in de BIOS menu and I ended up doing a reset to the default settings (still 5 minute boot). In general my PC was very fast with the boot. I've an SSD as you will see in the specs. But the last year (maybe 2) it has been really slow, and no I'm not kidding when I say 5 minutes.

Specs (insert image error?)
speccy screenshot 1
speccy screenshot 2

speccy screenshot 3
speccy screenshot 4
speccy screenshot 5
speccy screenshot 6
speccy screenshot 7

Event viewer
event viewer 1
event viewer 2

So what's going on?
When I start my PC I get a 3 second boot screen where you can press a key to get into BIOS. After this screen you get a ROG loading screen (a little rotating symbol on the bottom) and this takes 5 minutes... I've no Idea what would take up 5 minutes, but it's happening everytime. After that you get the windows 10 login screen. My PC is very fast on this screen and with windows, games, applications etc. no problems there.

What do I think is going on?
I myself think that Windows, or something before that, is trying to access some device. For example I have a Toneport UX2 (Line 6) external audio device, mainly for my guitar. But today I had disabled the device through device manager, but still 5 minutes. (btw think about everytime I've to restart to test something, and I've to wait 5 minutes)

Conclusion
I would be very relieved if I could go-on with my life, so please help me. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

P.S.
Some random stuff I've tried. Enabling, disabling fast boot in BIOS, updating BIOS, removing all hardware, searching for good BIOS error logs (no luck), safe mode in windows and random stuff from the internet but that was about a year ago, so no idea.

Greetings from DrunkenMoose

Last edited by a moderator:
This issue is more than likely related to Windows since it happens after the BIOS screen and only started after a major change to the OS.

I have personally had issues after using the refresh option in Windows 10. Nothing boot time related, but other problems making the computer unusable (errors, BSOD, flat out no boot, etc). The only solution was a reinstall.

I would backup your data and completely format your pc. Then install windows 10 from scratch.

BTW, 5 min isn't the worst I have seen. I have seen 13 minutes on a Windows 10 laptop of mine since it had a dying HDD. A fresh install and SSD works miracles for that laptop.

Sep 18, 2019
Its definitely an OS issue since it happens after the BIOS screen.

I have personally had issues after using the refresh option in Windows 10. Nothing boot time related, but other problems making the computer unusable (errors, BSOD, flat out no boot, etc). The only solution was a reinstall.

I would backup your data and completely format your pc. Then install windows 10 from scratch.

BTW, 5 min isn't the worst I have seen. I have seen 13 minutes on a Windows 10 laptop of mine since it had a dying HDD. A fresh install and SSD works miracles for that laptop.

Hey,

I forgot to add, but the only thing I'm not going to do is a full reinstall. I've done those 10 times in my life, and that is 10 times too much. A reinstall is something as a last resort, but for now I'm looking for a fix in my current system. Thanks for your reply!

Sep 18, 2019
A defective storage device can cause similar issues. Have you tested the health of your devices.

Also, when you installed Windows, was only the SSD connected?

Well the HDD is from good quality, I don't over use it, it has a good normal HDD speed. But if you really think it's the HDD then I could try disconnecting it tomorrow. I just highly doubt it.

Sep 18, 2019
Thanks for all the replies guys, when I'm back from work I will check the HDD and SSD. I never had any weird problems with the drives (I've know some HDD's in the past with bad sectors and that visualized as strange weird things happening, and very slow windows) But I will check it anyway with the given tools. I will report in this thread, thanks!

Sep 18, 2019
Go here and get Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/281#WD_downloads

WDC bought HGST, by the way. Run the tool to assess the health of your HDD.

When installing Windows, you should only have the primary storage device (your SSD for example) connected. This ensures no system files are written to an additional storage device.

Hey,

Thanks for the tip for the tool. I just run the two SMART quick checks and those are a pass.

Here's a screenshot: screenshot

But is there maybe a tool you guys know that can check what is happening in the boot time? And do you perhaps know if this is before windows or could windows also be a factor? I just get lost at the event viewer.

Sep 18, 2019
UPDATE

Well... it's fixed... after installing all my programs again, did all the settings etc. it still wasn't fixed. So I still had the boot time of 5 minutes. Today I received a message that there was a windows update. Thought nothing about it, installed it and did a restart. The restart took 10 seconds..

10 seconds? After more then a year of 5 minute boot times and 1 windows update fixed it? So now I know it was windows all along. But I'm happy because I now know it's not my hardware or etc. It's just stupid windows.

Thx for the help and bye!