[SOLVED] 5 pin fan cables/4 pin connector (CiT Raider Gaming Case/MSI B450 Gaming Plus motherboard

Aug 24, 2019
Dear experts,

I am just helping my son to build his gaming PC but we are facing the following unexpected problem:

The cables for the four fans of the CiT Raider Gaming Case expect a five pin connector but the pin connectors on the MSI B450 Gaming Plus motherboard have only four pins.

Moreover, there is a hub being delivered with the CiT Case (“Rainbow-5P”) which takes the four cables of the fans as input and has a four pin output cable (beside the serial ATA cable for power supply) but – and now things are becoming really strange for me:

Pin 1 (I suppose it to be pin 1 as it is marked with an arrow), pin 2 and pin 4 could be connected to each one of the four fan connectors on the motherboard but pin 3 is sealed. That means it is not only just not used, it is filled with plastics.

Does anybody know some kind of adapter that solves this problem? Or has anyboy another hub in use that has at least four inputs for 5 pin fan cables and a “real” output of four pins (even if this hub does not support the RGB features, it has, for first, just help us to bring the fans into operation).

Or is it possible to connect the 5 pins cables to the 4 pin connector and leave just one pin unconnected? I don’t expect that to work as the “nose” (sorry, I am not a native English speaker and don’t know the correct expression for this) on the cable to prevent putting it wrong to the connector is exactly in the middle of the longer side whereas the opposite part of the connector is shifted to the left (near pin 1).

The solution of the last resort would be to buy a new case quite similar to the one my son has but here we would like to make sure in advance that this has 4 pin cables (or an appropriate hub).

Some technical details of the pin definition (and wiring):

Motherboard, PWM mode: Pin 1: Ground, pin 2: +12V, pin 3: Sense, pin 4: Speed control signal.
Motherboard, DC Mode: Pin 1: Ground, pin 2: Voltage control, pin 3: Sense, pin 4: NC

Rainbow-5P: Input: +12V/GND/GND/DATA/+5V.

Any help and hints will be very appreciated.

Kind regards,
Franz

Solution
Exactly. The Sata power connector goes from a Sata port directly from your psu cables to the 2pin next to the red port. The cable with the 6pin red end has 2 cables attached, the 4pin argb (3 wires only but 4 actual pin slots, the blank is used as a key so you can't plug in backwards) goes to an ARGB port, not a 4pin RGB port. There is a very big difference between the two and you cannot plug an ARGB connector into an RGB header. The other connector goes to a motherboard 4pin fan header.

Sata provides power for hub/multiple fans. Fan cable provides pwm signal for fan speed control split in multiple fans at the hub. ARGB cable provides lighting affects on the fans.

All the 5pin go to the case fans, the 2x 3pin on the end are for...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You got the hub backwards. The 5pin connectors for the fans are outputs. The 4pin is input.

That hub is a fan/ARGB (addressable RGB) hub, the 12v/gnd is for fan speeds, the gnd/data/+5v is the addressable RGB. Sata will provide power, the 4pin (one that looks like a molex) goes to the argb header on the motherboard and there'll be a second regular 4pin PWM that'll go to a fan header.

Reactions: TheAustrian
Aug 24, 2019
Hello, Karadjgne,

thank you very much for your time and the detailled answer and the correction of my input-output mixup.

My problem is that (I attach some photos this time) there is only one cable delivered (with the SATA connector and a four pin connector of which one is sealed, marked with a red circle on the photo nr. 7) and the ARGB header on the mainboard has four pins (I checked this is detail again on the motherboard itself and the manual).

So I connected the four fans to output X1 - X4, the SATA to the power supply but still have no idea where to put the "partly sealed" four pin connector as there is no header on the mainboard (or cable delivered) that fits.

Fan-Hub-1.jpg

Fan-Hub-2.jpg

Fan-Hub-3.jpg

Fan-Hub-4.jpg

Fan-Hub-5.jpg

Fan-Hub-6.jpg

Fan-Hub-7.jpg

Kind regards,
Franz

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Exactly. The Sata power connector goes from a Sata port directly from your psu cables to the 2pin next to the red port. The cable with the 6pin red end has 2 cables attached, the 4pin argb (3 wires only but 4 actual pin slots, the blank is used as a key so you can't plug in backwards) goes to an ARGB port, not a 4pin RGB port. There is a very big difference between the two and you cannot plug an ARGB connector into an RGB header. The other connector goes to a motherboard 4pin fan header.

Sata provides power for hub/multiple fans. Fan cable provides pwm signal for fan speed control split in multiple fans at the hub. ARGB cable provides lighting affects on the fans.

All the 5pin go to the case fans, the 2x 3pin on the end are for addressable led light strips. You just need to provide the 3x connections on the left side (picture of hub)
INTERNAL CONNECTORS

1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
6 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors
2 x USB 2.0 connectors (support additional 4 USB 2.0 ports)
1 x USB 3.1 Gen1 connectors (support additional 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports)
1 x 4-pin CPU fan connector
1 x 4-pin water-pump-fan connector
4 x 4-pin system fan connectors
1 x TPM module connector
1 x Front panel audio connector
2 x System panel connectors
1 x Serial port connector
1 x Parallel port connector
1 x Chassis Intrusion connector
1 x Clear CMOS jumper
2 x 5050 RGB LED strip 12V connectors

Unfortunately, that particular motherboard does not contain a 4pin ARGB header, it's lighting capability is set only for the 2x 5050 RGB LED strips. So you will have fan control but no rainbow lighting control unless the case has some sort of ARGB panel/switch near the power button which can have a USB2.0 cable attached to connect to the motherboard instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAustrian
Solution
Aug 24, 2019
Thank you again for your time and effort. In the meantime, my son's brand new self built gaming PC works fine and the colors are controlled by the remote control. He is totally happy with it and I have to admit these color games have something fascinating.

Kind regards,
Franz