[SOLVED] 5 pin to eight pin cable?

May 6, 2020
I have bought a more powerful graphics card for my workstation. The problem is that it needs to be connected to the power supply. It has an eight pin entry and the power supply only has five pin exits (the flat one). I am having trouble finding a cable that would connect both. Is there such a cable? Would I have to go through the nightmare of buying a new power supply? Is there any work around?

Solution
That flat 5 pin is meant to to go into the PSU. The other 8 pin end goes into your graphics card.

These 5 pin connectors seem to be pretty standard for older SeaSonic semi modular PSUs. My old M12ii 520GM had the same connectors.
plugs.jpg

SeaSonic is a reputable manufacturer and that unit is likely pretty decent for its age. It is advertised as having both a PCIe 6 pin and a PCIe 6+2 pin. You just need the latter.
May 6, 2020
Can you turn the PC off and show a picture of the label on the power supply?

Unless you have the correct 8 pin, you probably need a better power supply.

This is what I am beginning to suspect, the problem is that I am not sure if I will find any current PSU that will take those five pin plugs

That flat 5 pin is meant to to go into the PSU. The other 8 pin end goes into your graphics card.

These 5 pin connectors seem to be pretty standard for older SeaSonic semi modular PSUs. My old M12ii 520GM had the same connectors.

SeaSonic is a reputable manufacturer and that unit is likely pretty decent for its age. It is advertised as having both a PCIe 6 pin and a PCIe 6+2 pin. You just need the latter.

Solution
May 6, 2020

i guess I will have to take all the wiring out and see where the six pin is. Thanks a lot. This is very generous of you!

TRENDING THREADS