[SOLVED] 5 second freezes with HDD LED on

gezorama

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Hi all,

Recently upgraded my PC due to MB or CPU failure to the specs below. I've noticed that when I play games or sometimes watching videos (more rare) my computer will lock to an extent. I can still move my cursor and hear on going sound OK, but nothing in chrome will progress until caught up. During this time the SSD light is constantly lit, not flickering.

I'm thinking there's probably some conflicting setting I'm not aware of but seems to happen more under higher loads.

Any Ideas anyone?

Crucial BX300 SSD
Ryzen 3600x
Nvidia 1060 3GB
16GB Corsair Vengeance (3200)
asrock Steel Legend B450 Motherboard
XFX 550w PSU

Solution
If you system is writing to recovery partitions on C: and D:, that would explain the sluggishness you are experiencing (along with having the page file on the D:). This can happen when the hard drive is hooked up while Windows is being installed on the SSD.

gezorama

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Any hard drives or just the BX300? Are you running any backup software on the computer? Are you using Storage Executive to configure anything in your SSD?

The SSD is running windows and the applications/games that are hanging are also installed on that drive (though appears more so on Apex Legends, one of the more resource heavy games).

I also have an SATA hard drive for misc storage. No external back up software being used.

If you system is writing to recovery partitions on C: and D:, that would explain the sluggishness you are experiencing (along with having the page file on the D:). This can happen when the hard drive is hooked up while Windows is being installed on the SSD.

Solution

gezorama

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009

Thanks Ketchup - what you would you advise? A format of both drives, and a reinstall of windows on the SSD with the HDD unplugged?

A concern i have is that it's PSU related - as it happens with high-load programs (though not exclusively, but seemingly more often). Cursor still moves and sound still plays until it catches up.

Last edited:
Format and re-install won't cost you anything but time. New power supply? Perhaps, but would not stop me from a re-install on a single drive first. A power supply usually causes power down and blue screen. Slowness is almost never caused by power supply problem.