5 short beeps

harshgola

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2015
I have a motherboard of gigabyte(h310m s2) until yesterday it was running flawlessly but today when i tried to boot it up ....this happened....
It starts then shuts....then starts then shuts...then starrs then suddenly all the fans run like crazy along with those 5 continous beeps. I have already tried clearing CMOS several times .....tries to force run the backup bios.....re attach the mbd battery..... but nothing happened.....is my motherboard nothing but crap now...??

Gigabyte h310m s2
I3 8100
8GB ddr4 2400mhz
Gtx 1050 2gb
Corsair vs450

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Pretty sure the 5 beeps signify a processor error. It sounds like your boot process is making it through the power check, but it fails right after which would make sense for cpu error. Did you change out your paste or reset the cpu recently? Also double check that the cpu power cable is secure.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
If you have a multimeter, I would check all of the psu and mobo outputs to makes sure they are providing enough juice. It could be either causing the issue. Other than that, the only thing I can think to do would be to try the cpu in another rig.

Oh and double check that the cpu fan is properly attached to the cpu fan header. A lot of computers won't boot if they don't detect the cpu fan.

harshgola

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2015
Well the cpu fans were spinning and i did re install the cpu fans ( cooler master hyper 212x) . I am sure that the psu is fine since i tried to replace it with an old i have and but the problem was same.

There had been a case when my rig was new it used beep 3 times before i restarted it when it should hv beeped only once.

I will try to check all the outputs of the mobo..

Thanx

harshgola

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2015
It turned out that the gpu was at fault ....whenever i plugged the gpu back it would beep(5 times).
But how come the gpu is responsible.....i did check that if it was connected properly..