5 Ways to Disable Google's New Search UI Style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Oh wow, I didn't even notice the new sidebar until this article just mentioned it. Apparently I am fail.

But, I guess it doesn't bother me.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Haha.. The new layout does suck. Google should switch back. Why do companies always take something that's already the best thing and think that they have to improve it? Never found any flaws with the plane style.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Haha.. The new layout does suck. Google should switch back. Why do companies always take something that's already the best thing and think that they have to improve it? Never found any flaws with the plane style.[/citation]

*plain style*

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Haha.. The new layout does suck. Google should switch back. Why do companies always take something that's already the best thing and think that they have to improve it? Never found any flaws with the plane style.[/citation]
Yahoo said Google had to diversify more... I guess this is Google's response :p

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
You can get rid of all the crap they have on the page with adblock+ either using the element hiding helper or with these adblock+ rules:

google.com##DIV#leftnav
google.com##DIV#guser
google.com##DIV#gbar
google.com##A#logo
google.com##P#bfl
google.com##DIV#fll

Here's how it looks:

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Um...I was unaware that Google had changed there page and just went there to check it out...same page it has been...no side bars on anything else mentioned in this article. It actually is almost nothing but the search box like it has been for quite some time so what is this article talking about?

Edit: I clicked the link at the beginning of the article and the page they are showing there is not what I see at www.google.com and like I said it is the same page it has always been.

G

I switched to Bing right after google changed and I like it better so far

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
There are people that don't like the new sidebar? Its been around for a while for their other searches (video, books, etc) and I always wondered why (and was annoyed that) they didn't have it for regular search. I often want to filter by date ranges.

I don't know why people call it iGoogle, does Apple have something similar? To me, it reminds me of how NewEgg's site has been for the last 4 years or so.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I like the convenience of refining your search, but it doesnt offer anything that my firefox with "Google Enhancer" add-on doesnt allow for. It even lets you search by file type.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]steiner666[/nom]I like the convenience of refining your search, but it doesnt offer anything that my firefox with "Google Enhancer" add-on doesnt allow for. It even lets you search by file type.[/citation]
You can already search by file type with regular google (even before the update) using filetype:pdf etc.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]You can get rid of all the crap they have on the page with adblock+ either using the element hiding helper or with these adblock+ rules:google.com##DIV#leftnavgoogle.com##DIV#gusergoogle.com##DIV#gbargoogle.com##A#logogoogle.com##P#bflgoogle.com##DIV#fllHere's how it looks:
th_chromesux.jpg
[/citation]

Yeah that works to remove the elements, but the main thing i have a problem with is how there is still so much white space to the left of all the search results. Need some way to remove that now

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
This is NOT a solution: it only sets your homepage so it only works the first time you perform a search. As soon as you do a second search it'll be back to the annoying sidebar version.

Status
Not open for further replies.