[SOLVED] 5 Year Old 4790k freezes for a few seconds with resource spike

Feb 2, 2020
Title says it. 5 Year old system freezes for 2-5 seconds around every 5 minutes. Whenever it freezes, the CPU spikes to around 50% and GPU to around 15%(RTX 2070 RTX super, GTX 970). Doesn't really matter how much I have open. I do a lot of architectural design with 3d apps (Revit, rendering software, etc.) but the freezes occur whether I have modeling software, photos, and pdf's open, or literally just surfing the web (chrome). Anything I can check? Memory stays pretty constant but could that cause anything? Again, the whole system is 5 years old, but the slight freeze and spike in resources makes me think the CPU. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need more information. It's customary to include your system's specs when posting a troubleshooting thread. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Also, etc. doesn't state all the app's that you're using on your system. A list of all the apps would be highly appreciated.

Take a screenshot of what your resource monitor shows on Task Manager. Speaking of which, if you're on Windows 10, what version are you working with?

Feb 2, 2020
I apologize...
CPU: 4790k
Motherboard: Asus Z97 Pro
Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600
SSD/HDD: C: Samsung EVO 850 250 GB, HDD: WD Black 2TB 7200
GPU: RTX 2070 Super, GTX 970
PSU: SeaSonic X-850
Chassis: Fractal Design R5

Apps: Autodesk (AutoCAD, Revit, 3ds Max), Sketchup, Adobe CC, Photos, Twinmotion, Octane, VRay. Doesn't really matter what apps I'm working on. Happens when I'm just looking at chrome

I apologize...
CPU: 4790k
Motherboard: Asus Z97 Pro
Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600
SSD/HDD: C: Samsung EVO 850 250 GB, HDD: WD Black 2TB 7200
GPU: RTX 2070 Super, GTX 970
PSU: SeaSonic X-850
Chassis: Fractal Design R5

Apps: Autodesk (AutoCAD, Revit, 3ds Max), Sketchup, Adobe CC, Photos, Twinmotion, Octane, VRay. Doesn't really matter what apps I'm working on. Happens when I'm just looking at chrome

How many monitors do you have? Do you need that 970? Tested with only the 2070 Super?

Feb 2, 2020
How many monitors do you have? Do you need that 970? Tested with only the 2070 Super?
2. I only need the extra GPU when rendering on GPU (Enscape, Twinmotion, Vray GPU, Octane). No I have not tested with only 2070 Super but system was working fine until recently. The only thing I've changed recently is storing Revit libraries on E: (HDD) instead of C: (SSD) but, again, it happens even if the only thing i'm running is chrome.

Those libraries moving to a slower media could have something to do with it if they are automatically loaded any time the system boots.

The one quick test I would try is to boot up any linux live cd and see if you have any issues there. If you don't, then it's definitely some sort of software thing in windows vs a hardware failure.

Feb 2, 2020
I appreciate the input. Just a little update:

I haven't had a chance to boot a linux live cd (mainly because I don't know much about it) but I have run memtest86 for 4.5 hours with zero errors, ran an extended test with DLGDIAG on the WD drive which passed, and samsung magician is all good.

After observing the behavior more, the freezes increase in frequency and length (still never lasting for more than 5 seconds) the longer the system is on, and more specifically, the longer I work using files on the HDD. Originally I installed all Autodesk products, along with their resources, on the HDD. There's obviously program data/files that get installed to the C drive but for the most part, they're on the E drive. When working on files on the E drive and the freezes are happening, I can open chrome or something that is installed on the C drive, and after a few minutes, the freezes seem to stop until I go back.

Just to test, I uninstalled Revit from the HDD and reinstalled everything to the SSD, including the files I was working on. This seemed to help as the freezes were shorter but they still occurred. There may still be resources the program uses on the HDD as I have several programs and versions (2017,2018,2019,2020) installed and I only migrated one version of Revit to the SSD.

A few things I noticed:
whenever it comes out of the freeze, whatever window I have active, would rapidly flash like it was switching from one window to another (like clicking on and off of a window 10 times in half a second)

It may just be in my head, because now I'm just grabbing at straws, but the read/write noises from the HDD have become louder and more frequent and also occur when idle. I have a "silent" case and I definitely don't remember the drive being this loud. Also, I have no frame of reference, but the drive itself gets pretty hot. But again, when I tested the drive, everything was fine.

One more thing that's always bugged me is the SATA cable going into the HDD has never snapped onto the connector and can easily be pulled out just by jiggling the cable. It's been this way since I built the system but I've tried a few different cables and none of them snap on.

At this point I'm looking at the HDD, the motherboard/SATA controller, or maybe still the CPU, although I'm not as worried about the CPU.

Anyway, I appreciate any help or insight. I realize this issue is near impossible to diagnose from me trying to describe it, and this forum might not even be the right place to look for answers as it might be dealing with specific architectural software installations. But at the very least, I appreciate the space for me to walk around in circles talking to myself, as I really have no damn clue what's going on.

Thanks again.

Some really great additional information.

Hard drives do go bad, so this could be a sign of it starting to fail. I would back it up if you don't already have a backup and then run the manufacturers non-destructive 'long' test on the drive and see what it comes back with.

Hot drives are never good, so see if cooling it down helps. You may need to move it to another location in the case with better airflow or move a fan.

I wouldn't worry about the sata connector. I don't think I've ever had one of those snap in. Personally I think those snap tabs are stupid as I would rather a cable come off than rip the sata port off the drive or damage the port. Reminds me of the screws for vga connectors that people would screw in and then rip the port off the back of their computer. Dumb, really dumb.

The last thing I would try is getting an external usb 3.0 enclosure for the drive and move to to an external and see if that changes anything. It shouldn't improve things, but since it would be using a completely different bus (usb vs sata), it might work better if there are bus issues.

Feb 2, 2020
I appreciate the input.
Hard drives do go bad, so this could be a sign of it starting to fail. I would back it up if you don't already have a backup and then run the manufacturers non-destructive 'long' test on the drive and see what it comes back with.

I ran the extensive test on DLGDIAG, which is WD's softare. Came up with nothing. I also ran chkdsk /f /r /x. Took almost 5 hours. Also nothing.
Hot drives are never good, so see if cooling it down helps. You may need to move it to another location in the case with better airflow or move a fan.

I am actually planning on adding another front fan and spacing the drives out more just to be sure. I didn't realize how hot that thing was getting until this issue came up. If the HDD isn't failing, I'm going to migrate all the programs and working files to a new SSD and keep it as an archive drive. Definitely don't want it getting that hot.
I wouldn't worry about the sata connector. I don't think I've ever had one of those snap in. Personally I think those snap tabs are stupid as I would rather a cable come off than rip the sata port off the drive or damage the port. Reminds me of the screws for vga connectors that people would screw in and then rip the port off the back of their computer. Dumb, really dumb.

The last thing I would try is getting an external usb 3.0 enclosure for the drive and move to to an external and see if that changes anything. It shouldn't improve things, but since it would be using a completely different bus (usb vs sata), it might work better if there are bus issues.
I figured it wasn't a big deal as it's been that way since I built it 5 years ago but it's always bugged me. If the issue still persists after uninstalling all Autodesk software, checking all drivers and windows install, I think the external enclosure is where I'll go. Either that or throw it out the window.

Feb 2, 2020
Yes software, usually means a driver or some other software or possibly that your windows installation is corrupt.
Follow this guide first to see:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker
Will do. I've already clean uninstalled all Autodesk software and updated the graphics driver. I'll run the file checker and see what happens.

Quick related (or maybe unrelated) question about NVIDIA graphics drivers. So I've had the new studio drivers installed since I installed the 2070 Super. I haven't had a problem but I noticed the 970 doesn't support the studio drivers, only the game ready drivers. As I understand it, in my setup, the 970 only runs during gpu compute tasks. So would running the studio driver cause any problem with the 970? The only real test I've run is OctaneBench and it flew through that. Again, I haven't had any problems with the other GPU renderers I use but all this has got me thinking.

Feb 2, 2020
I must have missed the bit where you said you are running two different graphics cards. Admittedly I don't know much about SLI but I thought they had to be the exact same card? It seems likely your issues are to do with this.
I have 2 graphics cards but they aren't SLI. I just talked with NVIDIA and while they run concurrently when rendering, they are actually running separate tasks and compiling the rendering together once finished. The 970 is dormant unless used in multi gpu capable gpu compute tasks. Apparently this shouldn't be an issue according to NVIDIA.

I appreciate the input.

I ran the extensive test on DLGDIAG, which is WD's softare. Came up with nothing. I also ran chkdsk /f /r /x. Took almost 5 hours. Also nothing.

I am actually planning on adding another front fan and spacing the drives out more just to be sure. I didn't realize how hot that thing was getting until this issue came up. If the HDD isn't failing, I'm going to migrate all the programs and working files to a new SSD and keep it as an archive drive. Definitely don't want it getting that hot.

I figured it wasn't a big deal as it's been that way since I built it 5 years ago but it's always bugged me. If the issue still persists after uninstalling all Autodesk software, checking all drivers and windows install, I think the external enclosure is where I'll go. Either that or throw it out the window.
Sounds good. Definitely sounds like the drive and file structures are still okay. That's a great sign.

Yeah if it is getting hot enough to become uncomfortably warm if you hold the sides of the drives, then it's far, far too hot. I don't think the drive is failing at all, so I'd check if cooling it down doesn't restore the performance as circuits will throttle versus fail in well built drives.

It's definitely not a bad idea to keep it as an external backup drive. Please don't throw it out the window as it's a good drive. If you don't want it anymore, I have a UPS account and will send you a prepaid label for it as I could give it a good home here. :)

I have 2 graphics cards but they aren't SLI. I just talked with NVIDIA and while they run concurrently when rendering, they are actually running separate tasks and compiling the rendering together once finished. The 970 is dormant unless used in multi gpu capable gpu compute tasks. Apparently this shouldn't be an issue according to NVIDIA.
This is really good to know. Thank you for posting this. :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 main parts to any hdd. The disks and the drive. WD tests only show the health of the disks themselves, not the drive mechanisms.

Since Chrome is on C and non-essential stuff is on E, I'd temporarily pull power to E drive, boot up, let the pc sit for a few minutes then open up some chrome tabs. See if it still freezes.

How full is E?

Almost all hard drives within the last few years spin down after a set time of non-use. If any task (whether called on by the user or an automatic process) calls on the drive, it will spin up. Depending on what you are doing at the time, this could seem to be a freeze. However, this should only happen if the drive has had time to spin down, which is generally after 30 minutes to an hour ( depending on the drive). To test this, pull up task manager and look at your drives. See if either is being accessed during these freezes.