[SOLVED] 5 year old build, motherboard dead?

PCAardvark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Hi all,

I have a PC that I built that has been working fine since 2015 until today. Specs are at the bottom. Computer was working fine, it is primarily used for gaming. Was playing on it this morning, left to run some errands, came home and it was in sleep mode and would not reboot from sleep (not unusual, has had this problem since I built it, reboot normally fixes). I rebooted it as I normally would and got error code 04 - Power on south bridge initialization. Rebooted again with fingers crossed, and got a D0 (Late CPU initialization). Pulled the GPU and all the RAM, still a D0. Tried putting one RAM stick in one slot, got an E4 - RAM not seated properly. Changed the RAM slot, same stick of RAM, and it loaded completely but stopped at D6 (No graphics), which made sense. Put the GPU back in and it started cycling 04, 60, 55 (Power on south bridge initialization, 55 is early memory initialization, 60, probably D0, which is "late cpu initialization."). Took the GPU out again and I'm back to D0.

So far I have - tried every RAM stick in every slot, but am stuck at D0. I cannot get into the bios. I've tried to boot off both BIOs, all stuck at D0. I have reset the CMOS, nothing. I have unplugged the entire thing and let it sit after pulling the CMOS battery, nothing.

I went and bought a new power supply, switched it out, and now I'm getting the 04 error again. Iam currently "fingers crossed" that my whole setup isn't buggered. Only other thing I can think of is that the motherboard is dead, and it's old enough that a replacement would be difficult to find, but I don't have the money to replace an entire build. I would appreciate any help or guidance.

Specs:

MSI X99s gaming 9 ACK

i7 - 5820K

Corsair vengeance DDR 4 2800 (4x4)

H100i cooler

Samsung Evo 850

MSI GTX 980

Corsair RM850, Gold fully modular PSU

Solution
When you mention swapping the old with a new unit, was it the same Corsair model PSU? Breadboard the system with only one stick of ram populating the slot mentioned in the motherboard manual. Which BIOS version are you currently on? You might want to see if turning each bolt on the AIO anticlockwise(one turn) helps change the issue. Often times a tight CPU fitment can cause issues with boot up.

Lastly, which OS are you working with and which version(if Windows 10)?

Lutfij

Titan
When you mention swapping the old with a new unit, was it the same Corsair model PSU? Breadboard the system with only one stick of ram populating the slot mentioned in the motherboard manual. Which BIOS version are you currently on? You might want to see if turning each bolt on the AIO anticlockwise(one turn) helps change the issue. Often times a tight CPU fitment can cause issues with boot up.

Solution

PCAardvark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

I did the breadboard and it booted right up, but then started having issues again. I was reading the manual to look for which order to put the sticks in (8 RAM slots) and noticed that the toggle I've been using to switch between BIOS is, in fact, not the correct toggle. Switched to the second BIOS and booted with no issues, reassembled in the case, went through the RAM one stick at a time, one of them is bad. Looks like power cycling the computer when it was in sleep mode corrupted the one BIOS, and also somehow damaged the one stick of RAM.

Happy news though, it's up and running again and I'm only out the cost of 4 gigs of RAM. Thank you for the help!