Question 5 year old SLI or Budget Card

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
Because of a hardware failure I'm rebuilding my PC before I really planned to and doing it on a budget.

I currently have a Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 (factory o/c'd). It's been fine for me since I'm still catching up with games from a few years back.

That said, I realize I could pick up a second one of these on eBay for probably $50 and do an SLI set up.

Is SLI really worth it? I get the idea I can expect about a 80% bump in performance.

Are there any budget video cards (sub $100) that might work better than two 5 year old cards?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Not all games support SLI. You may get 80% more performance best case scenario, in some games you may get no improvement. Also, depending on resolution/settings, having only 2GB of VRAM could be an issue.

Better off getting something like an RX 570. As low as $120 new, $100 or less used.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
From the research I've done, an RX 560/GTX 1050 ($100-130) is probably comparable to an overclocked GTX 660, definitely surpassed by the 660 in SLI.

Stepping up, the RX 570 ($125-ish) does appear to be at least twice the card the GTX 660 is and SLI would only partially close that gap.
Within the same price/performance range seems to be the GTX 1650 ($150) which is two years newer so less likely to be found used.

It really seems like sub-$100 is about the value of the old GTX 660 with nothing at the price point surpassing it except, like you said, a used RX 570.

Are there any improved graphical features that the newer cards bring to the table besides performance?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
RX 570 has DirectX 12 support, whereas the GTX 660 likely has no (or limited) DX12 support. This can allow for new graphics effects/features, although it would depend on what was implemented in the game.

I also believe that older Geforce cards lack support for Freesync monitors (which was added for the newer cards), so you'd also gain that going to the RX 570.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Get a new card, I have two GTX 770 4GB cards in SLI and it's more of a pain than anything else to get certain games running, for example, if I adjust the volume in a game while SLI is enabled in full screen mode, my whole computer will freeze up and I have to do a hard reboot.

Reactions: Landstander

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Not all games support SLI. You may get 80% more performance best case scenario, in some games you may get no improvement. Also, depending on resolution/settings, having only 2GB of VRAM could be an issue.

Better off getting something like an RX 570. As low as $120 new, $100 or less used.
This is your best advice, I have a friend with an i5 3550s and an RX 570 8GB card, and it outperforms my SLI GTX 770s.

TRENDING THREADS