DataMonSTAR

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
My Athlon 64 Single Core died and I replaced it with an Athlon2 X3 440 and a a GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H motherboard. The system is not overclocked or unlocked, but I really want to try and unlock the 4th core if I can get the heat issues worked out.

The problem is that both Speedfan and the bios report my core CPU temperature to be anywhere from 50 - 70c depending on the load. Everything is stable so far, but I haven't put it under a real test.

I've placed the temperature probe between the heatsink and CPU. Is this correct? I've never had to place one before so I didn't really know where to put it. It seemed logical that it would go there to give an accurate CPU temp.

I've tried everything rearranging my flans to get the maximum flow, but it just doesn't work. One thing is that I have a lot of cables from the PSU hanging and it's blocking my top-mounted exhaust fan.

My system has two exhaust fans in the rear, one on the side and one at the top. I have the upper-most rear fan exhausting and the bottom one intaking air across the Video card and CPU heatsink. The side-mounted fan sits right on top of the CPU fan and it's exhausting. With that setup the lowest I got it was 50c at idle.

These fans are Cooler Master Super-flo silents, which only blow about 15 CFM. I really think this is the problem in the Apevia Xdreamer case. it's just not enough flow.

Anyway, I'm looking for some info about whether I have the temp. probe in the right place and what I can do to maximize air flow. I'm tempted to simply two front intake fans, but I'm worried about the noise. Thanks.

Solution
By you placing the probe between the CPU and heatsink, you've effecttively removed what's needed most for the heatsink to draw away heat - a tight fit.

Reseat your heatsink and try Core Temp.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
for a unoverclocked amd processor, your temps are high. i think your might have applied the thermal paste incorrectly. reapply the paste correctly, prefereably arctic products or IC ones, and also see if your cooler is broken or not, a crack on fan wings or etc. after doing these two things i think your temps should return. hope i helped.

DataMonSTAR

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

Thanks. I removed it and the thing fell apart in my hands. No biggie I'm just not going to use it and utilize the internal temp probe instead.

Anyway, the temperature is now at about 35 - 40 depending on the load. This is according to Speedfan and Core Temp. I also used a bit more thermal grease on it. I'm using a stock heatsink & fan so it already had the thermal grease applied, but that didn't seem to be sufficient. I added a thin layer of Cooler master grease on top of what was left and it seems fine.

I'm still not going to unlock any cores and definitely not overclock it until I have some better case fans and an aftermarket heatsink. I re-arranged my current case fans to have the strongest fan blow exhaust, since I don't have any mounted at the front. I'm going to order some today, any suggestions on a good cooling/noise trade-off fan?

Thanks!

DataMonSTAR

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
This stuff isn't metal-based. The heatsink had already been in use, so the grease pad was spread out and wasn't coating very good in places. I basically applied a thin layer to fill in the gaps and give it a nice seat. It seems alright, since the temperatures have gone down considerably. I probably had some ambient heat in the case because after I went out for two hours and turned the system back on the temperature was greatly decreased.

Annd... Vodka seems like the MANLY way to mod! Timop, I think I like you.

Thanks!