$50 for a BIOS update to make AGP card work?

jeff

Apparently on my Gigabyte 8IDX i845 board I need to update my BIOS to
get an FX 5200-TD 128 nVidia AGP card to work. I bought this cheap
card to troubleshoot a screen blanking problem I was having with my 2
year old MX 400. The screen blanking os gone (hooray) but I cannot
install any drivers without this BIOS upgrade.

I can't find one publicly.

Is my only option to buy an apdate from Award for $49.99 or is there
an update somewhere else that I am (hopefully) missing?

I have searched thoroughly, high and low and have come up emptyhanded.

Thanks for any insight -

Hi,

you don't mention from what BIOS version you want to upgrade. (the version
you have right now)

I guess BIOS version "F10" is the newest you will get anywhere.
http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8IDX.htm

<jeff@home.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:4074e244.1470390@news.easynews.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Apparently on my Gigabyte 8IDX i845 board I need to update my BIOS to
> get an FX 5200-TD 128 nVidia AGP card to work. I bought this cheap
> card to troubleshoot a screen blanking problem I was having with my 2
> year old MX 400. The screen blanking os gone (hooray) but I cannot
> install any drivers without this BIOS upgrade.
>
> I can't find one publicly.
>
> Is my only option to buy an apdate from Award for $49.99 or is there
> an update somewhere else that I am (hopefully) missing?
>
> I have searched thoroughly, high and low and have come up emptyhanded.
>
> Thanks for any insight -

jeff

Sorry I forgot that -

currently it's

BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/21/2001

I had downloaded "F10" but can't figure out how to flash it.

The Giga-byte site suggests I use the Q flash utility but I don't seem
to have that. From my setup screen, pressing F8 as they suggest
doesn't bring up any utility.

Sorry so ill informed. Maybe I will make a system floppy, boot to a:,
insert the unzipped flash floppy and run the executable?

JC

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:29:27 +0200, "Mirko" <mirko@pchome.com.tw>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>you don't mention from what BIOS version you want to upgrade. (the version
>you have right now)
>
>I guess BIOS version "F10" is the newest you will get anywhere.
>http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8IDX.htm
>

><jeff@home.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:4074e244.1470390@news.easynews.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
>> Apparently on my Gigabyte 8IDX i845 board I need to update my BIOS to
>> get an FX 5200-TD 128 nVidia AGP card to work. I bought this cheap
>> card to troubleshoot a screen blanking problem I was having with my 2
>> year old MX 400. The screen blanking os gone (hooray) but I cannot
>> install any drivers without this BIOS upgrade.
>>
>> I can't find one publicly.
>>
>> Is my only option to buy an apdate from Award for $49.99 or is there
>> an update somewhere else that I am (hopefully) missing?
>>
>> I have searched thoroughly, high and low and have come up emptyhanded.
>>
>> Thanks for any insight -

Yes, you need to make a bootable MS-DOS system floppy disk first.

When you execute "bios_8idx_f10.exe" in Windows, then it will ask you where
you want to extract its content to. Just let it extract the three files to
the same floppy disk.

Since Gigabyte included an "autoexec.bat" you just need to re-start your
computer and have it boot from floppy disk. It will start the flash utility
automatically. The flash utility itself may or may not require your
interaction.

<jeff@home.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:40758984.701281@news.easynews.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Sorry I forgot that -
>
> currently it's
>
> BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/21/2001
>
> I had downloaded "F10" but can't figure out how to flash it.
>
> The Giga-byte site suggests I use the Q flash utility but I don't seem
> to have that. From my setup screen, pressing F8 as they suggest
> doesn't bring up any utility.
>
> Sorry so ill informed. Maybe I will make a system floppy, boot to a:,
> insert the unzipped flash floppy and run the executable?
>
> JC
>
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:29:27 +0200, "Mirko" <mirko@pchome.com.tw>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >you don't mention from what BIOS version you want to upgrade. (the
version
> >you have right now)
> >
> >I guess BIOS version "F10" is the newest you will get anywhere.
> >http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8IDX.htm
> >

> ><jeff@home.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:4074e244.1470390@news.easynews.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> >> Apparently on my Gigabyte 8IDX i845 board I need to update my BIOS to
> >> get an FX 5200-TD 128 nVidia AGP card to work. I bought this cheap
> >> card to troubleshoot a screen blanking problem I was having with my 2
> >> year old MX 400. The screen blanking os gone (hooray) but I cannot
> >> install any drivers without this BIOS upgrade.
> >>
> >> I can't find one publicly.
> >>
> >> Is my only option to buy an apdate from Award for $49.99 or is there
> >> an update somewhere else that I am (hopefully) missing?
> >>
> >> I have searched thoroughly, high and low and have come up emptyhanded.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any insight -

jeff

Mirko,

Would you mind giving me a couple more pointers if you have the time?

I did the flash.

It is now Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/16/2002 which
is an improvement I guess.

The first reboot revealed a checksum error and it said something about
my CMOS. I noticed that now I had the Qflash option so went to Setup,
F8'd and Qflash asked me if I wanted to update the BIOS (again). I
said yes.

It told me before I started that there was a checksum discrepancy

"checksum=A8EC are you sure you want to continue?" it said, which I
presumed meant there must be a reason not to continue but I said yes
anyway.

Bad Idea?

I was hoping this update would allow me to use a new AGP video card
which Windows refuses to install. It hasn't, in fact now it also uses
that damned Found Hardware Wizard to tell me that it won't install my
multimedia Audio Controller either.

Do you have any idea what can I do to eliminate that checksum error
(which I got around by loading some default no fail settings) in hopes
of smoothing things out?

Thanks

JC

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:53:43 +0200, "Mirko" <mirko@pchome.com.tw>
wrote:

>Yes, you need to make a bootable MS-DOS system floppy disk first.
>
>When you execute "bios_8idx_f10.exe" in Windows, then it will ask you where
>you want to extract its content to. Just let it extract the three files to
>the same floppy disk.
>
>Since Gigabyte included an "autoexec.bat" you just need to re-start your
>computer and have it boot from floppy disk. It will start the flash utility
>automatically. The flash utility itself may or may not require your
>interaction.
>

><jeff@home.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:40758984.701281@news.easynews.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
>> Sorry I forgot that -
>>
>> currently it's
>>
>> BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/21/2001
>>
>> I had downloaded "F10" but can't figure out how to flash it.
>>
>> The Giga-byte site suggests I use the Q flash utility but I don't seem
>> to have that. From my setup screen, pressing F8 as they suggest
>> doesn't bring up any utility.
>>
>> Sorry so ill informed. Maybe I will make a system floppy, boot to a:,
>> insert the unzipped flash floppy and run the executable?
>>
>> JC
>>
>> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:29:27 +0200, "Mirko" <mirko@pchome.com.tw>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >you don't mention from what BIOS version you want to upgrade. (the
>version
>> >you have right now)
>> >
>> >I guess BIOS version "F10" is the newest you will get anywhere.
>> >http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_GA-8IDX.htm
>> >

>> ><jeff@home.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:4074e244.1470390@news.easynews.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...

The CMOS checksum error is nothing abnormal.
After flashing a new BIOS version and resetting the computer it is very
recommended that you enter the BIOS setup (usually there is a note somewhere
on the computer start-up screen saying "press x to enter setup") and do a
"Load Setup/BIOS/System Defaults" (??? something like this).
Then you can set your own custom BIOS settings, and later just do "Save and
Exit". The should be no more CMOS checksum errors.

Depending on what Gigabyte changed in the newer BIOS version and whether
your custom BIOS settings are different to the old settings, it is also not
unusual that you see the Hardware Wizard popping up when you start Windows.

Could you explain a little more in detail what makes you believe that you
cannot install the nVidia drivers?

<jeff@home.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:4075a3d7.298000@news.easynews.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Mirko,
>
> Would you mind giving me a couple more pointers if you have the time?
>
> I did the flash.
>
> It is now Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/16/2002 which
> is an improvement I guess.
>
> The first reboot revealed a checksum error and it said something about
> my CMOS. I noticed that now I had the Qflash option so went to Setup,
> F8'd and Qflash asked me if I wanted to update the BIOS (again). I
> said yes.
>
> It told me before I started that there was a checksum discrepancy
>
> "checksum=A8EC are you sure you want to continue?" it said, which I
> presumed meant there must be a reason not to continue but I said yes
> anyway.
>
> Bad Idea?
>
> I was hoping this update would allow me to use a new AGP video card
> which Windows refuses to install. It hasn't, in fact now it also uses
> that damned Found Hardware Wizard to tell me that it won't install my
> multimedia Audio Controller either.
>
> Do you have any idea what can I do to eliminate that checksum error
> (which I got around by loading some default no fail settings) in hopes
> of smoothing things out?
>
> Thanks
>
> JC
>

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 20:53:43 +0200, "Mirko" <mirko@pchome.com.tw>
> wrote:
>
> >Yes, you need to make a bootable MS-DOS system floppy disk first.
> >
> >When you execute "bios_8idx_f10.exe" in Windows, then it will ask you
where
> >you want to extract its content to. Just let it extract the three files
> >the same floppy disk.
> >
> >Since Gigabyte included an "autoexec.bat" you just need to re-start your
> >computer and have it boot from floppy disk. It will start the flash
utility
> >automatically. The flash utility itself may or may not require your
> >interaction.
> >

> ><jeff@home.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:40758984.701281@news.easynews.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> >> Sorry I forgot that -
> >>
> >> currently it's
> >>
> >> BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 09/21/2001
> >>
> >> I had downloaded "F10" but can't figure out how to flash it.
> >>
> >> The Giga-byte site suggests I use the Q flash utility but I don't seem
> >> to have that. From my setup screen, pressing F8 as they suggest
> >> doesn't bring up any utility.
> >>
> >> Sorry so ill informed. Maybe I will make a system floppy, boot to a:,
> >> insert the unzipped flash floppy and run the executable?
> >>
> >> JC

> >version

jeff

Thanks for the reply,

I guess it is more accurate to say the drivers have been copied and
installed to my HDD OK, but it is as if Windows just won't recognize
the card and I can't set the "properties" to anything but the VGASave
display adapter.

There is no option in that property dialog to choose any other display
adapter. When I do a system info listing the video display is reported
as "none detected".

When I install from the CD that came with the card, I reboot and that
message appears. I've used newer drivers and uninstalled the old ones
properly I believe, yet nothing enables me to use the nVidia drivers.

I have done everything I can think of. Uninstalled old drivers (used
Driver Cleaner 3) then tried installing 3 different drivers, CD
version, MSI Live update version and a 56.72 vesion. Updated Win XP
SP1 and updated the nVidia drivers via MS Live Update.

I updated my Intel 845 chipset drivers. I have updated the BIOS.

I disabled Norton AV.

Each time the machine boots I get the following message by the XP
Wizard for finding new hardware:

-----------
Cannot install this hardware.

Cannot be installed.

There was a problem installing this hardware Video controller (VGA
compatible)

An error ocurred during the installation of this device.

The data is invalid.

--------------

I went to MS Update and did an Express SP1 update which went fine but
it wouldn't update last October's release of the nVidia patch.

The MS Live update error message:

No Updates Were Installed

The following items failed to install. To try installing them again,
click Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again.

NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.

-------------

After trying 6 or 7 times, I finally got that patch to install.

The card remains undetected by Windows.

The MSI Live Update sees the card when it decides what to give me from
their web server. I updated everything MSI had to offer, utilities,
drivers, VGA BIOS update but I can't get the card to use anything but
VGASave.

Jeff

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:07:43 +0200, "Mirko" <mirko@pchome.com.tw>
wrote:

>The CMOS checksum error is nothing abnormal.
>After flashing a new BIOS version and resetting the computer it is very
>recommended that you enter the BIOS setup (usually there is a note somewhere
>on the computer start-up screen saying "press x to enter setup") and do a
>"Load Setup/BIOS/System Defaults" (??? something like this).
>Then you can set your own custom BIOS settings, and later just do "Save and
>Exit". The should be no more CMOS checksum errors.
>
>Depending on what Gigabyte changed in the newer BIOS version and whether
>your custom BIOS settings are different to the old settings, it is also not
>unusual that you see the Hardware Wizard popping up when you start Windows.
>
>Could you explain a little more in detail what makes you believe that you
>cannot install the nVidia drivers?

Weird problem. I don't know what to say.

You could try to delete the "VGASave" display adapter from the control
panel, then reboot the computer and see what happens. But I guess you have
done so already.

Btw, does Windows XP install the VGASave display adapter totally by itself
(without human interaction) or are you presented with the type of Wizard
where you have to click "next" to go to the next step of the hardware driver
installation?

<jeff@home.org> ¦b¶l¥ó news:4075be96.245531@news.easynews.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> [...]
>
> >The CMOS checksum error is nothing abnormal.
> >After flashing a new BIOS version and resetting the computer it is very
> >recommended that you enter the BIOS setup (usually there is a note
somewhere
> >on the computer start-up screen saying "press x to enter setup") and do a
> >"Load Setup/BIOS/System Defaults" (??? something like this).
> >Then you can set your own custom BIOS settings, and later just do "Save
and
> >Exit". The should be no more CMOS checksum errors.
> >
> >Depending on what Gigabyte changed in the newer BIOS version and whether
> >your custom BIOS settings are different to the old settings, it is also
not
> >unusual that you see the Hardware Wizard popping up when you start
Windows.

> >Could you explain a little more in detail what makes you believe that you

Well, the sympathy helps, thanks.

I haven't tried deleting that I'll give it a shot.

XP does that all by itself behind the scene and then when it is done
doing whatever it has been doing, it presents that message window.
There is no actual wizard that starts where I can "have disk" or
anything like that.

Now it's giving me an error witha "Multimedia Audio Controller" too
which is a drag.

I checked to make sure my on board audio was disabled since I have a
sound card, seemed to be.

Any further brainstorms, please pass them on...

Thanks again

Jeff

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 00:30:30 +0200, "Mirko" <mirko@pchome.com.tw>
wrote:

> [...]
>> >recommended that you enter the BIOS setup (usually there is a note
>somewhere
>> >on the computer start-up screen saying "press x to enter setup") and do a
>> >"Load Setup/BIOS/System Defaults" (??? something like this).
>> >Then you can set your own custom BIOS settings, and later just do "Save
>and
>> >Exit". The should be no more CMOS checksum errors.
>> >
>> >Depending on what Gigabyte changed in the newer BIOS version and whether
>> >your custom BIOS settings are different to the old settings, it is also
>not
>> >unusual that you see the Hardware Wizard popping up when you start
>Windows.
>> >
>> >Could you explain a little more in detail what makes you believe that you
>> >cannot install the nVidia drivers?

>Any further brainstorms, please pass them on...

Check your BIOS settings, make sure you have "Assign IRQ to VGA"
enabled, that's usually on by default, but you never know.

Also, do you have a video card integrated with your motherboard?

Oh yeah, and if there is anything in your first PCI slot (the one
immediately next to your AGP slot), move it into another slot,
otherwise it will share an IRQ with your AGP card.

Are you still getting those BIOS checksum errors?

--
Tashfeen Bhimdi