50% GPU Usage?

Mr Dobing

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Hi all,

Just a quick question. When running MSI afterburner my gpu usage is around 95-98% usage in BF3 however in Skyrim it rarely goes over 60%.

Could this be an indicator of a bottleneck on my CPU (FX-6300 @ 4.2ghx) or just simply because Skyrim is DX9 and isn't fully utilising the card?

Solution
It should ALWAYS try to utilize the full 90%+ of a card IF :

1. Vsync and other frame limiters are disabled.
2. There is not a CPU bottleneck.

So suggestions on how to check :

Drop the settings on your graphics to bare minimum EXCEPT for viewing distance. Then check your FPS, if there is not a significant increase in FPS, then you have a CPU bottleneck.

You can also underclock your CPU and see if the FPS has a significant decrease, if yes, then there could be a CPU bottleneck.
It should ALWAYS try to utilize the full 90%+ of a card IF :

1. Vsync and other frame limiters are disabled.
2. There is not a CPU bottleneck.

So suggestions on how to check :

Drop the settings on your graphics to bare minimum EXCEPT for viewing distance. Then check your FPS, if there is not a significant increase in FPS, then you have a CPU bottleneck.

You can also underclock your CPU and see if the FPS has a significant decrease, if yes, then there could be a CPU bottleneck.

Solution

Mr Dobing

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Great answers Novu.

I understand. To be fair all my view distances are maxed out so I'm thinking it probably is that!

When I'm indoors I get over 120fps but outside it can drop to 30. Would there even be a point in pushing my cpu to 4.5ghz to see if I can improve fps outdoors or is just the limitations of the 6300 vs say i7-4770k?

You could never reach the 4770K performance with the 6300. But yes, an overclock to 4.5Ghz would be worth it if you can keep the CPU stable and under 60C.

Mr Dobing

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
How much of an improvement would you say? Sorry to ask everything.

I tried to get my CPU to 4.5ghz. I was running CPU at 1.4v and my temps got to 65c so I dropped to back to 4.2 and stock volts. Doesn't the 6300 turbo boost to 4.2 anyway so I've done a pointless OC?!

NoOneLt

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Hey, found some benchmarks of FX-6300 BE @ 3500 MHz, with GTX680 it gives 80 avg. FPS in skyrim, @4,7GHz it gives up to 93 so processor should not be bottlenecking to 30 fps.. They run it High to Ultra on DX9.

Try to run GPU-Z, go to sensors tab and give some load with skyrim, them print screen and put it here. Lot of info there.

No more than 10 FPS improvement.

And no, turbo only increases 1 or 2 cores to that speed. In overclock maintains all 4 cores at 4.2Ghz. So its not pointless.

What GPU do you have? EDIT : Nevermind :)

Mr Dobing

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Hi NoOneLt,

Isn't my 760 less capable than the 680? Or does it not matter because I'm not even getting full gpu usage?

I will do! At work at the moment but I will post tonight. Hopefully you will be online lol.

Can always depend on Tom's for some great advice. :)

Have you ever seen how many graphics options that Skyrim has?
Without knowing the EXACT settings, there is no way you can just go on High or Ultra.

Although your suggestion is not bad. :)

NoOneLt

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013