$500-750 general home PC with some gaming ability and upgrade potential - first build

Jun 5, 2018
I am currently trying to build my first PC.

Approximate purchase date: 1-2 weeks.

Budget Range: 500-750 total after shipping and rebates

System usage:
At first this PC with be used as a general home computer for internet browsing, streaming. This would be the most important requirement. It would be also nice if it could do some light gaming for my husband and basic photoshop for me. Eventually the goal with be to upgrade it to a mid tier gaming machine for my husband. Right now he has a console which he can continue to use for the time being but he wants to get back into PC gaming at some point. He also had intentions of using this computer with FRAPs but I’m not sure if that is something that this first build will be able to do. Hopefully if this first PC building experience goes well the I will build a separate PC for my use in my art studio and a dedicated gaming PC. Right now we just need a computer that actually functions with minimal game and photoshop capabilities.

Monitor: I will be using my Samsung syncmaster monitor with resolution 1920 x 1080

Websites: Newegg, Amazon. Any websites that I can use in the US that are reputable.

Here are the following parts that I have come up with and my reasoning. I have learned a great deal from going through this process of trying to choose parts. Critiques welcome. Essentially I am not set on anything in particular and just want to make sure the money is well spent and that it all fits together.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6tQDjy

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2200G - I chose this because it was quad core with included graphics card for a good price. The plan would be to upgrade this to another AMD CPU with separate graphics card in the future so didn’t want to invest too much at this time. Right now I need a computer that actually works.

Motherboard: ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX - Might want to overclock in the future as well as add additional RAM.

RAM: I was going to go with 2 x 4 GB DDR4 2400. Eventually I plan to upgrade to more/better RAM when I upgrade my CPU. I also don’t have a particular brand in mind. Might base it on price at the time of purchase. Suggestions would be welcomed.

SATA SSD: I want a 500gb SSD initially and will probably add more over time. Might depend on price point. Suggestions would be welcomed. Might also eventually get a larger HHD drive at some point for more long term storage.

PSU: I was going to go with EVGA 500 bronze semimodular. I don’t think I will need 750 even after upgrade to better PCU plus dedicated graphics (based of what I put into a wattage estimator). Since I plan on upgrading over time I think I am going to get a PSU with enough capacity to use with future configurations. I know that initially will be an unnecessary amount of wattage but eventually I think we would be able to use the extra.

Case: I haven’t quite decided yet. I know I will need to make sure if fits my components and also be able to hold any components I may want to add in the future. Some options are NZXT S340 Elite, Define R5, Masterbox 5.

I also don’t think that I need any additional cooling than the fan that comes with the Ryzen 2200G. I also guess I will have to purchase windows software. Don’t need a DVD drive or anything like that right now. I will be using my samsung syncmaster HD monitor.

Please let me know if there is anything that I have overlooked. Overall, I am looking for an upgrade-able PC over time but functions well enough to be effortless to use. Thanks for you time and help.

batmanrobin

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($101.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.90 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($32.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - BQ 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ B&H)
Total: $463.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-13 15:46 EDT-0400

Looks good, I would consider different speed RAM.
Here's something similar to my build I'm considering. I swapped out the motherboard, RAM, and case. Added in a HDD.

I am going with a MicroATX (mATX) instead of a ATX Mid Tower. It saves me about $50 and I don't plan to Crossfire/Sli/buy 2 graphic cards to need to buy a bigger ATX Mid Tower. You will still be able to fit 1 monster graphic card in MicroATX cases in the future when your husband buys a graphic card. However, the NZXT case you chose is really cool looking so pick a computer case you and your husband will enjoy looking at.
>>>The MasterBox Q300L is currently on sale at amazon (about $10-15) cheaper than last week when I picked it up. The other MasterBox versions by Coolermaster have poor airflow compared to the Q300L. The Q300L comes with only 1 fan installed at the rear, so you might want to consider picking up a few more budget 120mm fans (1 for top and 1 for front)

From my own reading, if you're going to use AMD's integrated graphics (APU) without a graphic card, higher speed ram (3200mhz) will work better for your photoshop and lite gaming. Ryzen CPUs scale well with higher frequency RAM. AMD Ryzen 3 2200g should run common games (Overwatch, Fortnite, triple A games) on 720p high graphics smoothly. There are some reviews that will state you might need to go into the BIOS menu to set the XMP profile if your ram is not already running at 3200 mhz (a google search will show you step by step instructions to ensure a smooth process).

Bonus: AMD also has a program called Ryzen Master that lets you do a small overclock without too much technical knowledge or worry. You slide the slider/pick the setting in the program and it will do the rest. Wonderful convenience!

Asoroka mentioned a potential problem with the motherboard. You may get a motherboard that has not updated its bios yet to run the newer AMD Ryzen CPUs. If that does happen, you'd have to contact your motherboard maker for them to send you a "CPU KIT" to install and upgrade the bios before your Ryzen 3 2200g works. However, if your motherboard comes already upgraded with BIOS, then you're good to go.

Microsoft is allowing people to use Windows 10 without needing to activate it. You can download the installation directly from their website. In inactivated Windows 10, you lose the function for aesthetics like to personalize your desktop background. It will save on your cost, and you can always buy windows in the future if needed (or if it goes on sale).

*I was also considering the Ryzen 5 2400g (extra $70 premium) for a small boost in lite gaming since I won't be buying a graphic card anytime soon due to the market. However at $95 for Ryzen 3 2200g running lite games smoothly at 720p and working with photoshop, that's a fantastic deal!

*Hopefully someone else can look at the SSD for you as I do not know what is recommended (some will argue Samsung Evo 800 models are the best).