[SOLVED] ~$500-$800 to use to upgrade PC. Don't know where to start.(Would like to buy parts within the week)

Ethan_55

Honorable
Feb 4, 2017
My PC is a bit outdated and has been for a while now and I think it's about time to come back around to see what the new fun things to buy are. As stated in the title I have around 500 dollars to remedy the situation. My specs are as follows:
  • B350 MSI Krait Gaming MB
  • Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
-16 GB DDR4 Ram (HyperX)(4 Sticks)
-Gtx 970 GPU
-More storage space than I need (Including m.2 drive)
-TX650W PSU

I suppose what I'm trying to accomplish with this is better performance for newer games like Cyberpunk. Doesn't have to be able to run it at top settings but I do want to enjoy the beauty.

Solution
You need too much to be upgraded for that budget to REALLY do the trick, depending on expectations. But let's see what can be done.

What resolution are going to be running and what expected level of performance settings for Cyberpunk are you planning to shoot for? What is the refresh rate of your display?

Your best bet would likely be to make sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS installed, slap a Ryzen 3600 in there for about 200 bucks, and then IF or WHEN you can find a realistically priced 3060 ti in stock somewhere, which should be about 475 to 500-ish once the stock on these cards starts to level out, that should be enough to put you in fair 1440p or fairly good 1080p performance range, for that game. For most other games...
You need too much to be upgraded for that budget to REALLY do the trick, depending on expectations. But let's see what can be done.

What resolution are going to be running and what expected level of performance settings for Cyberpunk are you planning to shoot for? What is the refresh rate of your display?

Your best bet would likely be to make sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS installed, slap a Ryzen 3600 in there for about 200 bucks, and then IF or WHEN you can find a realistically priced 3060 ti in stock somewhere, which should be about 475 to 500-ish once the stock on these cards starts to level out, that should be enough to put you in fair 1440p or fairly good 1080p performance range, for that game. For most other games, that should give you great 1080p, very good 1440p and entry level 4k performance. If you are looking for 144fps performance then are probably going to want to save a bit more and go with something like a Ryzen 5600x, new motherboard and an RTX 3070 or higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution
My PC is a bit outdated and has been for a while now and I think it's about time to come back around to see what the new fun things to buy are. As stated in the title I have around 500 dollars to remedy the situation. My specs are as follows:
  • B350 MSI Krait Gaming MB
  • Ryzen 5 1600 CPU
-16 GB DDR4 Ram (HyperX)(4 Sticks)
-Gtx 970 GPU
-More storage space than I need (Including m.2 drive)
-TX650W PSU

I suppose what I'm trying to accomplish with this is better performance for newer games like Cyberpunk. Doesn't have to be able to run it at top settings but I do want to enjoy the beauty.
I'd go for a new mobo and cpu upgrade and when you get more dough go for a new vid card.

Your best bet would likely be to make sure you have the latest motherboard BIOS installed, slap a Ryzen 3600 in there for about 200 bucks, and then IF or WHEN you can find a realistically priced 3060 ti in stock somewhere, which should be about 475 to 500-ish once the stock on these cards starts to level out, that should be enough to put you in fair 1440p or fairly good 1080p performance range, for that game. For most other games, that should give you great 1080p, very good 1440p and entry level 4k performance. If you are looking for 144fps performance then are probably going to want to save a bit more and go with something like a Ryzen 5600x, new motherboard and an RTX 3070 or higher.

I agree with this. If you have $800, you can spend $400 on a 3060 Ti FE when it's in stock, get a cheap B550 mobo like a Pro VDH or something, it's usually around 100-120, and get a 5600X when it's in stock. Should be around 850 ish total.

I'd stick with this imo with anything under 1440p 144hz

Ethan_55

Honorable
Feb 4, 2017
I agree with this. If you have $800, you can spend $400 on a 3060 Ti FE when it's in stock, get a cheap B550 mobo like a Pro VDH or something, it's usually around 100-120, and get a 5600X when it's in stock. Should be around 850 ish total.

I'd stick with this imo with anything under 1440p 144hz
Thank you for the hasty reply, I'll take this into consideration as my plan A, I appreciate everyone else's response too!

Reactions: Prad_Bitt

TRENDING THREADS