[SOLVED] $500 Budget, Should I spend it all on RTX 3070?

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

- My parents told me I got only $500 to upgrade my PC.

- Currently, I got an old motherboard, so I can't buy any new CPU/DDR4 Rams as they won't fit. (I still got DDR3)

- I have a:
CPU: Core i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs) ~3.0GHz
RAM: 16x DDR3 Ram
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
HardDrive: Multiple external 2 TB ones, no SSD.

I was thinking of spending my whole 500$ on simply buying the new RTX 3070, as it seems pretty good and "cheaper", I mostly want to play Call of duty "Warzone", would that be a good investment for now till I fully buy a whole new pc? I didn't want to semi-upgrade my pc with 500$ where i'd have to re-upgrade it next 2-3 years. :(
I think looking at the sizes, I was able to maybe buy a new GPU+PSU (as RTX requires a more powerful power supply) and they should fit okay.

What do you suggest? should I go/buy the RTX 3070 for 500$ and use it on my current system, till I upgrade it in the future or is it a bad idea? would it be strong enough to carry me on its own till I fully upgrade my PC and spend about $1000-1500?

I think best case scenario is to get a new CPU, which requires new motherboard, which then requires me to buy a new case, and new rams as my ram are DDR3, and then SSD hard drive, power supply etc :( and suddenly I'm building a whole new PC for $500, so I am thinking this might be the only upgrade I can do maybe?

Thank you very much for your time 🙂

Last edited:
Solution
First off all,im 100% sure u wouldnt find an RTX 3070 in stock,and even if you did it is probably much more expensive than 500$.
Second off all,i would upgrade the CPU/MOBO/RAM since u would need to upgrade for like 4-5 years.1050Ti definitely isnt a top dog,but its still enough to game on all low (ussually competitive settings) on 1920x1080.So here is what i would do: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7Q3M8M
Now i went with r5 2600X,since all ryzen 5000 series cpus are out of stock,and 2600x was 10$ cheaper than the normal 2600 so why not.Also r5 3600/x/xt starting at 300$+ so thats a no go.
To add up to that,i had to go with b450 board,but the tomahawk max is one of the best b450 boards,so im pretty sure it will receive a bios...
First off all,im 100% sure u wouldnt find an RTX 3070 in stock,and even if you did it is probably much more expensive than 500$.
Second off all,i would upgrade the CPU/MOBO/RAM since u would need to upgrade for like 4-5 years.1050Ti definitely isnt a top dog,but its still enough to game on all low (ussually competitive settings) on 1920x1080.So here is what i would do: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7Q3M8M
Now i went with r5 2600X,since all ryzen 5000 series cpus are out of stock,and 2600x was 10$ cheaper than the normal 2600 so why not.Also r5 3600/x/xt starting at 300$+ so thats a no go.
To add up to that,i had to go with b450 board,but the tomahawk max is one of the best b450 boards,so im pretty sure it will receive a bios update for that 5000 series when it is in stock,but that depends on whether or not u want to upgrade to it.Went with a aftermarket cooler just for the performance and looks since you should consider overclocking this processor since my list meets all the requirements for it.2x8gb rgb ram as ussuall and thats about it.More than enough for any game on 1080.In my opinion just now you meet the requirements to upgrade to a RTX 3000 series,if u want overclock that 1050 Ti to. Oh yeah forgot about psu,i dont think u would need upgrade until u decide to go for a befier gpu.

Reactions: xxxbabyxxx
Solution
Your i5 is what is currently limiting your average and minimum FPS...4 cores and 4 threads will likely struggle even more with a much better GPU....

$500 will upgrade CPU/RAM and mainboard with careful shopping...! (Yes, you will want/need a GPU later as well, as the 1050 is already struggling with even 1080P medium on most newer games..)

Reactions: xxxbabyxxx