$500 Build Advice Request - Should I re-use these old parts?

upstate_luke

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
The old gaming pc I gave my kids has died and I'm looking to build them something new.

From the old machine, I have the following parts I can use toward a new build but I'm not sure if they are worth re-using.

Radeon HD 5850
CORSAIR GS700 Power Supply

I have a $500 budget for parts. Any suggestions on what to use would be appreciated.

upstate_luke

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Wow, I didn't realize the price difference would be that large. If I go with the AMD build, what type of RAM would I need to avoid adjusting the settings that you mentioned?

Thanks for the help.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So, you need :

Cpu
Motherboard
Ram
Hdd
Case

I'm assuming you will reuse the keyboard and mouse, monitor. If you reuse the case, what size/make/model is it, because if it's slim, mini itx etc, none of the above will work
You can reuse both the gpu and psu, if your kids will be ok with the games they currently play, if they are after something newer and more demanding, that's gonna hurt the pocket, typically the gpu is the single most expensive component in a pc designed primarily to run games.

What about OS. If you are using a 32bit (x86) copy of Windows, you will be limited to 4Gb of ram, which for win7 or win8 is gonna hurt performance as newer games can use upto @6Gb of ram, with Windows alone sacking out @1.5Gb, so a 64bit (x64) OS is advisable for any newer pc.

If your current ram is ddr3 it's possible to reuse it, if it's ddr2, it needs new.

For a $500 or under you would be better off going with an AMD machine.
Here's a suggestion:
CPU: FX-8350 $179
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 $99 (On sale on Newegg for $82 w/ additional $10 rebate)
RAM: GSKILL Ripjaws 2x4GB $66 (also on sale on Newegg right now for $59 + $5 off with promo code)
SSD: Patriot Blaze 60GB $39
HDD: Use HDD from previous system if possible, as it will have the OS on it (by the way, SATA II and SATA III are compatible) or buy 1TB WD Blue $54
Case: Corsair 200R Mid-Tower $59.99
Re-use your power supply, just disconnect all the cords well.
Here are the charts for Crossfire support below;
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Crossfire-Chart.aspx
As the M5A97 supports four-way Crossfire, you can buy more compatible cards and still reuse your old one. Your old one on it's own probably could do most games, but I might buy more if you're doing more serious stuff.
If you don't have a salvageable copy of Windows 7 64 bit, then buy a new one. Don't buy 32-bit or Windows 8, as Windows 8 is lame and when Windows 10 comes out all Windows 7 users get free upgrades.