[SOLVED] $500 build for light gaming - do it now or wait until November?

mojohummus

Honorable
Jan 13, 2016
My desktop is a dinosaur and I'd like to do a rebuild soon. I know there has been some new tech released recently, with more to come soon. As I'm just doing a budget build, is it worth waiting another month or two for slightly better prices and components?

Solution
I would keep my eye on the last generation parts. So the nvidia 2000 series cards and radeon 5000 series. CPU, for value, keep an eye on ryzen 3000 series.

If you trust used, and want to save more, might keep an eye on eBay for example in the used market for when people unload their stuff as they upgrade. For example, when I bought my ryzen 5 3600, I sold my ryzen 7 1700x for about 100 bucks.
I would say wait. I saw something indicating zen 3 is coming out on October 8. So what has happened in the past is prices on older CPUs go down. I remember seeing ryzen 5 2600s for about 120 after the 3000 series launched. Don't know if that will be the same now though. However if you need the system, go ahead and build, as if you're always waiting for the newest hardware you will never build.

mojohummus

Honorable
Jan 13, 2016
I would say wait. I saw something indicating zen 3 is coming out on October 8. So what has happened in the past is prices on older CPUs go down. I remember seeing ryzen 5 2600s for about 120 after the 3000 series launched. Don't know if that will be the same now though. However if you need the system, go ahead and build, as if you're always waiting for the newest hardware you will never build.

Thanks!

With Zen 3 CPUs coming Oct 8th, and Radeon RX 6000 GPU coming Oct 28th, looks like November will be the time to order parts.
Any CPU or GPU I should keep on my radar for price drops them? I know that's a 'look into the crystal ball' question, but figured I'd ask.

I would keep my eye on the last generation parts. So the nvidia 2000 series cards and radeon 5000 series. CPU, for value, keep an eye on ryzen 3000 series.

If you trust used, and want to save more, might keep an eye on eBay for example in the used market for when people unload their stuff as they upgrade. For example, when I bought my ryzen 5 3600, I sold my ryzen 7 1700x for about 100 bucks.

Reactions: mojohummus
Solution