[SOLVED] $500 CPU advice

Feb 16, 2021
I have an i5-7600k CPU. I need a new one that can handle CPU intensive games like Total War. It's for gaming. I picked a i7-10700k today at 32% discount for CAD$430 from Newegg and cancelled it 30 minutes later when I read of Rocket Lake coming next month. I probably should have kept my purchase as the prices for an AMD or new Rocket Lake will probably be closer to $600 ... I always bought Intel but from my research it seems they have been overthrown by AMD. But those AMD are also all out of stock. They are saying Rocket Lake will not be able to match AMD either. I was looking for a CPU in the 400-500 CAD range but willing to compromise.

Should I wait for an AMD or Rocket Lake or see if the discount is there tomorrow to buy the i7-10700k again?

Thank you for your time answering.

Solution
Right now I can see it with $440CAD price tag on 3 different sites. Prices are hovering around that mark for a while now due to shortages. Once Rocket Lakes releases and supply improves for both Intel and AMD in a month or so, prices are likely to go down or hover around the same range. This close to the 11th gen, its better to wait out a few more days and see.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
You'd need a crystal ball to answer any of those questions. Will AMD be in stock soon? Nobody has a clue. Will Rocket Lake be much faster than Zen 3, or even in stock? Nobody has a clue.

As it stands, the Intel and AMD CPUs are all within spitting distance for gaming. The difference in multi threaded and power consumption are the big ones. Rocket Lake is rumored to gain a minor 4% lead over AMD, with even higher thermals than Comet Lake, but it's all rumor right now.

Right now I can see it with $440CAD price tag on 3 different sites. Prices are hovering around that mark for a while now due to shortages. Once Rocket Lakes releases and supply improves for both Intel and AMD in a month or so, prices are likely to go down or hover around the same range. This close to the 11th gen, its better to wait out a few more days and see.

Solution
Feb 16, 2021
Yes, if your current rig is not broken and you are not hard pressed to replace, it is probably a good idea to wait.
It's not broken, just old. I'm planning to spend around $2500 on a new rig. My idea was to build the whole thing and plug my GTX 1070 there until the RTX become available again.

dd.png