[SOLVED] $500 CPU Upgrade

Oct 27, 2020
Parts to Upgrade: CPU (Currently looking to go to a Ryzen 3700x)APower AK Series 800watt Power Supply

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preference

Location: City, State/Region, Country - Warner Robins, Ga, US

Parts Preferences: Other than the Ryzen 7 no other preference

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I understand I will probably have to upgrade more than just the CPU so i would like recomendations

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I would like to be able to play games at higher graphics settings without sacrificing FPS. I also cannot not run any other applications while gaming other than music. (I like to watch shows or videos while farming or grinding in games but youtube/twitch/netflix will constantly buffer or just stop)

Solution
Sorry,

I currently have an AMD A10-7890 Radeon R7 with an ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A88X-PRO motherboard. I understand upgrading to a Ryzen 3700x will probably require a new mobo and ill probably be needing new ram since itll prbably be DDR4. The refresh rate on my monitors is the standard 60hz.

One side note, i currently have a GTX 1060. is that fine for now? i plan to upgrade in the future but i feel like my CPU is what really lacking here based on the problems i am having.

Thanks... so yes you will need a new motherboard and ram.

Graphics card wise, for 1080p, 60 fps, I think a GTX 1060 is fine. You will get a nice boost in performance after the cpu upgrade as the A10 will be holding the GTX 1060 back quite a bit (will vary...
Hi, all the above makes sense, it would be helpful to know more about your current setup to help advise on the best upgrade options... do you already have a first or second generation Ryzen cpu / AM4 motherboard? In which case chances are you can keep the board and just change the cpu.

If you are on a different platform (e.g. AM3 or an Intel based setup) you will need to look at a new motherboard as well, possibly memory.

The final thought is you specify your screen is 1920 x 1080 but not the refresh rate - is it a standard 60hz screen or a higher refresh rate screen (e.g. 144 hz)?

Reactions: DMAN999
Oct 27, 2020
Hi, all the above makes sense, it would be helpful to know more about your current setup to help advise on the best upgrade options... do you already have a first or second generation Ryzen cpu / AM4 motherboard? In which case chances are you can keep the board and just change the cpu.

If you are on a different platform (e.g. AM3 or an Intel based setup) you will need to look at a new motherboard as well, possibly memory.

The final thought is you specify your screen is 1920 x 1080 but not the refresh rate - is it a standard 60hz screen or a higher refresh rate screen (e.g. 144 hz)?
Sorry,

I currently have an AMD A10-7890 Radeon R7 with an ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A88X-PRO motherboard. I understand upgrading to a Ryzen 3700x will probably require a new mobo and ill probably be needing new ram since itll prbably be DDR4. The refresh rate on my monitors is the standard 60hz.

One side note, i currently have a GTX 1060. is that fine for now? i plan to upgrade in the future but i feel like my CPU is what really lacking here based on the problems i am having.

Sorry,

Graphics card wise, for 1080p, 60 fps, I think a GTX 1060 is fine. You will get a nice boost in performance after the cpu upgrade as the A10 will be holding the GTX 1060 back quite a bit (will vary between games).

Motherboards wise, I would recommend getting a B550 motherboard - these are the newest midrange board so have full support for Ryzen 3000 series cpu's and will also be getting future support for the Ryzen 5000 series with an update (in theory, the older B450 boards are also getting Ryzen 5000 support added, but it's a "one way process" and is only going to be offered at the discretion of the motherboard maker, so probably easier to go for the newer board).

I'm not sure what your budget is, the Ryzen 7 3700X is a really nice cpu - if you do need to keep costs down though you would probably be fine with a Ryzen 5 3600 - performs about the same in current games. Memory wise, 16gb of DDR 4 3600 (a 2 x 8gb module kit ideally for dual channel operation) is probably your best bet.

Edit: Ah budget is in title - in which case when you add together cost of all the components you will need, probably the R5 3600 is a better bet.

Solution
Oct 27, 2020
The title says 'CPU upgrade', but, seems to address... everything....including PSU and OS? (SLI/Crossfire are non-issues nowadays, not that any sort of $500 budget allowed for opting to buy a pair of GPUs anyway)
Well $500 was my budget for the CPU whch i guess i shouldve clarified. im not trying to build a pc with that haha. but it honestly sounds like a new pc is essentially what im looking at.

Oct 27, 2020

Graphics card wise, for 1080p, 60 fps, I think a GTX 1060 is fine. You will get a nice boost in performance after the cpu upgrade as the A10 will be holding the GTX 1060 back quite a bit (will vary between games).

Motherboards wise, I would recommend getting a B550 motherboard - these are the newest midrange board so have full support for Ryzen 3000 series cpu's and will also be getting future support for the Ryzen 5000 series with an update (in theory, the older B450 boards are also getting Ryzen 5000 support added, but it's a "one way process" and is only going to be offered at the discretion of the motherboard maker, so probably easier to go for the newer board).

I'm not sure what your budget is, the Ryzen 7 3700X is a really nice cpu - if you do need to keep costs down though you would probably be fine with a Ryzen 5 3600 - performs about the same in current games. Memory wise, 16gb of DDR 4 3600 (a 2 x 8gb module kit ideally for dual channel operation) is probably your best bet.

Edit: Ah budget is in title - in which case when you add together cost of all the components you will need, probably the R5 3600 is a better bet.
I failed to clarify the budget ion the title was just for the CPU. I am no stranger to dropping some money on this stuff haha. But this was helpful. Thank you!

Reactions: cdrkf