$500 Extra for an SSD? How to Avoid Price Gouging When You Buy a PC

All very good points!

I noticed many years ago that Dell seemingly always wanted at least $400 extra for $100 more in parts, etc... More RAM, an SSD, a better video card, and BAM....what should have been $300 more was $1000 more.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
The problem with laptops is that many are now built to what I call the 'puzzle box' design which I think is to intimidate the average customer from upgrading. A few years ago pretty much 98% of laptops had a simple panel or hatch to replace the HDD and RAM. Not anymore. 75% now require near full disassembly and risk of serious damage to get them swapped out. I've seen some that now require you remove the entire motherboard to get to the spare RAM slot. I now have to charge extra to do simple upgrades as it adds another hour or so to the job. I had a HP Envy in today that I had to take it completely apart to remove the hard drive. It even wanted to have the internal battery to be removed to get the HDD retainer out. It's stupid.

Sure you could upgrade the laptop but do you want to wait till out of the warranty period before upgrading?

Check the design before buying. Look for easy access panels.

inmyrav

Reputable
May 8, 2015
You're not suggesting people wait to upgrade and not get all the features right away, are you? What about ray tracing?