Question 5000/2500 w/ DRAM vs 5000/4000 DRAM-less ?

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Gonna buy a new 500gb NVMe SSD and I see these two on Amazon, both selling for the same price:

WD_BLACK 500GB SN770 (5000/4000, DRAM-less)
SABRENT 500GB Rocket (5000/2500 with DRAM)

Which one would you go for? Will DRAM give the edge when it comes to responsiveness and latency (ie, launching apps, and other short, burst actions) ?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 14196

Always get the dram based SSD. I’m not sure I would buy either one of those I would stick to Samsung or some quality mfgr

Western digital does make some good ones just perhaps not the one you’re looking at

Do not put much relevance on synthetic ssd benchmarks.
They all perform so similarly that a user can't really tell the difference..
These guys could not:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DKLA7w9eeA

I might suspect that a 1tb drive would be a better buy if budget permits.
I would today buy only Intel or Samsung for a ssd.
They make all their own parts and can control quality better.
https://www.newegg.com/intel-1tb-670p-series/p/N82E16820167474?Item=N82E16820167474
A wonky ssd is the last thing you want to deal with.

Reactions: Regev

Regev

Reputable
Jul 3, 2020
Sabrent isn't Intel/Samsung quality anymore ? I remember they were one of the best a few years ago .. ?

Currently I have a Gen 3 Sabrent , about 2.5 years old. (1TB; 3500;3000). I want to replace it first, because I only use about 50GB total, so it feels like such a waste having all that space (will give the drive to someone who could actually take advantage of it), and second, because I run production-work on that machine (not with big files, so bandwidth speed doesn't really make a difference), I always refresh the drives every few years, to minimize reaching their failure point

In other words, you'd take a Gen 3 NVMe with DRAM over a Gen 4 without a DRAM any day ?
Depends what you’re doing. The dramless will be very slow when moving large files. It’ll be fast to start off with then bog down. Question is do you really need more than PCIE 3.0 speeds? You’re talking 4GBps so outside of Thunderbolt you’re not going to hit any speed restrictions as even the best motherboards with 10Gb lan is only 1.25GBps

Reactions: Regev
Gonna buy a new 500gb NVMe SSD and I see these two on Amazon, both selling for the same price:

WD_BLACK 500GB SN770 (5000/4000, DRAM-less)
SABRENT 500GB Rocket (5000/2500 with DRAM)

Which one would you go for? Will DRAM give the edge when it comes to responsiveness and latency (ie, launching apps, and other short, burst actions) ?

Thanks
Unless your moving big chunks of data I doubt you will see a diff.