Question 500ft cat5e cable not receiving connection from wifi repeater

illusineer

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
Hello. I am trying to run a 500ft cat5e cable from my wifi repeater to my PC. I terminated both ends using t-568B pinout and crimping tool. when i use a 5ft cable my PC detects the connection but my 500ft does not. whats going wrong? for clarification this is what I am working with:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/500ft-CAT5...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-RJ4...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wifi-Exten...h=item23b073d017:g:FAcAAOSw2hxcAVzk:rk:3:pf:0

In addition to the 100 meter limit the cable you purchased is fake cable.

It is CCA cable. The standard REQUIRES the cable be pure copper. Using CCA cable greatly reduces the distance you can go but there is no number since it is not a certified usage. The other major issue is the expansion rates between the metals will cause the ends to work loose over time.

illusineer

Reputable
Feb 24, 2019
so let's say I have a line of sight to my repeater from 350-400 feet away, and it is behind one thin wall, is there something that I can pick up the signal from on my computer's side or something that can extend the signal from the repeater's side wirelessly?

I would not try to get the wifi signal to go through the wall. I would use a pair of ptp bridges for example like nano station m2. This will look just like a ethernet cable and you should be able to use them in place of the ethernet cable you run.

Which bridge unit you actually buy will depend on how much speed you really need

I suspect they only go that far under optimum conditions and when you go long distance you need to be way above the ground on towers.

Pretty much you point them at each other and they work. Most models have led that show the signal strength so you know when you have them pointed directly at each other but at your distance it will be trivial to line them up. You still want to go as high as you can just to avoid say someone parking a truck in the way.

+1 on the Point to Point wireless bridge. The Ubiquiti stuff is also what I use but i use the Nano Beams as it uses a 5GHz range that is out of the rang of other stuff so things like phones and laptops can't see the wireless and don't know it is there. I have gone 1.5 Miles them They can get 15KM (a little over 9 miles). I get the full 100/100 Internet on that is on the other end. Every time i have used these it is for creating a wireless bridge for IP Cameras.

Fiber is going to be expensive and requires special tools to terminate and you have to know all about bend radius and what not as well so if you haven't worked with fiber i wouldn't recommend it just for that reason, BUT fiber IS the best solution IF the fiber run is to be permanent. If you are going between two houses etc i wouldn't do it. You got some business that isn't going anywhere, go for it. Fiber can be reused, but pulling it back out and storing it properly is a big deal. If you aren't careful you can break it, not know, and then run it again only to troubleshoot and not know where the break it.