Question 500gb Samsung 970 EVO Randomly Stops Working

Mar 16, 2020
As the title says, my EVO 970 seems to stop working out of nowhere when I'm writing/reading. While playing games that are on the SSD, they'll randomly just close to desktop. Windows still recognizes the drive, and checking it in the device manage says it's working properly. I can still access the drive and see its contents, but all files use the generic windows icons. For example, I have NieR: Automata installed on it, and normally its .exe uses an icon that is Emil's face. But after the SSD fails like this, the .exe icon is replaced with the stock image windows uses.

Trying to launch the .exe used to throw an error at me, but for some reason it now just brings up a window that says "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher." This also happens while writing to the drive as today I was downloading Borderlands 3 to it. When I checked to see the status of the download Steam showed that it was paused, but I was unable to resume it. Checking the contents of the drive, once again the icons were all replaced with generic ones and threw up the "This app can't run on your PC" window when I tried to start any games.

The only way I've found to get the drive working properly again is to restart my PC, but that's obviously not a good solution. What exactly is going on here?

EDIT: I just thought to try putting my PC to sleep to see what would happen, and upon waking it back up, it seems windows now no longer recognizes the drive.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS