500GB Seagate only showing 128GB

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Do a low level format and then try formatting it with a file system after, Make sure you do it either through the tools that you can get from Seagate's site or on the computer that already has the other 500gb drive.

you can find tools that can low level format you hd from Seagate's website.

the reason it might show up as only 128 is if it was formatted on a computer that didnt have the 48bit lba adressing, that or it just came formatted to that size - dont know why it would

Try that and see - I'm assuming you dont have important info on that drive yet, right?

Hope This Helps

PaulC2K

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Hi,

Thanks for those replies, i did spot a FAQ on this issue after posting (couldnt find an FAQ area on the seagate site from its menus) and there is a page which goes into a little detail about this issue here:
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/137_overview.html

I've emailed Seagate Support to ask them if this is the case here, would the BIOS view the drive as 500gb or 128gb as the only information i've received is that which ive mentioned.
The 'customer' claims its not the bios as they already have a 500gb drive working in there. So i'd assume the bios sees it as 128gb.

PaulC2K

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I would have to assume its the BIOS as he's switched it from machine to machine and only had it a couple of hours total, so couldnt have done all that much with it.

Seagate have also replied saying this is almost certainly the case, the the BIOS might need updating and a fresh format required.
I can only assume they've formatted the drive, its knocked it down to 128GB and because of the format method the 2nd PC which see's a 500GB drive fine is backing up the 128GB because currently it would be, however ultimately thats because its not 'unlocked' to allow its full storage potential.

Seagate said its extremely unlikely that its a dead HD, which i can fully understand, I would have thought it'd be fine or f**ked, not something in between, and as it fits in with formatting issues (tbh i wasnt aware of this, its the 2GB partition cap from fat16 all over again really isnt it).

CrazyCasta

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
I think we should assume he ment in the OS

You can ass-u-me if you want to , but I prefer not to, if you know what I mean :wink:

It is a waste of time to answer a question when there is so much unknown.....
Maybe we should assume Nitro is stupid :wink:

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
128gb capacity is the threshold value for drives that require 48-bit addressing to see everything.
go back to the motherboard and verify the bios supports this. sometimes you need a bios update.

You said its been tested in 2 pc's already.. what are their specs? motherboard and OS.

The PC that already has a 500gb drive... what kind of drive is it that works?

tdubbers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
If it is an issue with both OS's, make sure you've got service pack 2 installed, service pack 1 has a 128GB limit., I've also seen this problem with a Gigabyte K8N SLI board and 3 Seagate 300GB drives, it recognized all of them as 128GB drives, hooked them up to 3 other systems, same thing, had to RMA drives, very strange problem.

tdubbers

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Install a drive over 128GB in a system running service pack 1 and see what it recognizes it as, I'll bet you can only access 128GB.

sturm

Splendid
Install a drive over 128GB in a system running service pack 1 and see what it recognizes it as, I'll bet you can only access 128GB.

Been there done that many times. I use an orgional xp install disk. Disks only showed 128/137 gig. Installed SP1 and windows would have access to the whole disk. I know just update straight to SP2 with a SP2 cd.

Check out this link from M$ describing SP1 and 48 bit access.

Link to site.

vulefu

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
Has anybody any idea why a 500GB HDD would appear as 128GB?

HDD is:
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,704,00.html

Any ideas? Apparently its been tested in 2 machines and only shows as 128GB and one of them already has a 500GB drive in there.

Please help,
PaulC2K

If U did format on some older system with older bios on board and U switch it on newer U will again see 128GB beacuse it is formated that way.

This above is true but meyby U have another problem:)

GrTz!

Put the disk on newer system and get your self a copy of norton patrition magic and sniff around to see what did U facked up. :wink:

vije

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Try http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

Or read below:

To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry: 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1
4. Quit Registry Editor.

Restart the PC.
Works nicely!
Vije

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Seems a lot of confusion here between formatting and partitioning! And NONE of this has anything to do with "low-level format". A "low-level format" these days is done only at the manufacturing site and it actually creates (by writing magnetic signals to a blank HHD) the empty sectors on each track.

The first thing a user does with a new HDD is PARTITION it. That operation creates a Master Boot Block (with a mini-OS in it that can read in a little data from the disk) and a Partition Table telling the system how this particular HDD is organized. That's things like how many partitions are on here, what size is each, where does each start, and which one is actually boot-able with an Operting System on it. The Partitioning job is done by an operating system running a program (like FDISK.exe, for example) and it can only create Partitions with HDD structures it knows how to handle. So, for example, if the HDD first was PARTITIONED using original Win XP with NO later Service Packs, it could only create partitions up to 137 GB (actually show as about 128 GB) because that OS did not know anything about LBA48. Service Pack 1 solved this, and SP2 maintained that, of course. (By the way, in the case of Win 2000, LBA48 support is included in a later SP - certanly by SP4, maybe earlier, I don't know.) And I suppose that, even if the original partitioning had been done under an XP with SP2 installed, you would have had the option to create a Partition of specified size less than the full disk.

Only AFTER the Partition has been created can you FORMAT that partition. But the size is already established - you do NOT set the size with FORMAT. So simply formatting an existing HDD Partition will not change its size.

It appears the HDD in question was Partitioned originally in a system that did not support LBA48 and drives larger than 137 GB. Even though it is now installed in a machine that does handles a 500 GB drive properly, it still has only one partition of size 137 GB to work with. The rest of the drive is simply undefined. So you should have three choices.

1. In Windows under Administrative Tools for hard drives etc, find the HDD. It should show you that it has one partition of 128 GB plus a bunch of unassigned space. You can tell it to create on this same HDD a second Partition of whatever size you like, up to a max of available space, and format it for you. It will become a third hard drive, as far as Windows is concerned. All the data on the 128 GB existing partition will still be there.

2. Alternatively, in that same place, you can tell Windows to destroy the existing partition on that drive (you will certainly LOSE all its data!). Then tell it to create a partition on the unassigned drive of whatever size you want, up to the full size. Also have it formatted. Now you will have (up to a) 500 GB drive, but it will really look like about 450 GB.

3. With the old drive installed in the new machine, use a utility from the HDD manufacturer -that's Seatools from Seagate here - to do the re-Partition and Format. Again, you will LOSE all its DATA! And again, you can specify whether to partition it into one big 500 GB drive or into several smaller partitions. One thing to watch out for: If you simply run Seagate's utilities by allowing it to boot your machine from the Seagate utility CD, that system will not know that your machines's installed version of Windows can handle large HDD's properly. By default it will refuse to make a partition larger than 137 GB to protect you from earlier OS's. So you proably should sinstall the Seagate utilities on your hard disk, then run it from there under Windows.

Dutch rascal

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
The hint that Vije gave defenitely solves the problem. I have a Samsung 500 Gb SATA hard drive, with four partitions of 116 Mb. The Windows XP system kept me thinking that only one partition of 126 Gb was added. After I changed the register entry (value 0x00000001 (1)) I immediately found all four partitions, ready to be formatted. Thanks Vije!

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
*if in windows*

right click on my computer --> click manage
in the new window that opens up in the left pane select storage --> disk management
in the right pane then select your drive (i'm guessing it would more than likely be DISK1 [DISK0 will be your OS in most cases])

****MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHICH DRIVE IS THE NEW ONE AND WHICH ONE IS YOUR OS!!!!****

I will use DISK1 for arguments sake but it could be different on your system....

if under that DISK1 row you notice more then one block to the right of the disk description right click on each of the boxed (in that row) and select delete partition once you have one single block in the DISK1 row that says "unallocated space" right click on that block and select format and it will walk you through the steps on setting up a main partition and then formatting.

hope this helps!

hell_spawn

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005

Are you saying I should be banned?
I'm not quite sure why you would say "if you don't know you don't have to comment" and then proceed to say "SP2 was the likely problem", you don't know if he is even running windows.... or if he is, what version of windows is he running.... and besides SP2 (I’ll ass-u-me you are talking about XP SP2) is not the cause of every ones problems, It was a very good SP which solved a LOT of bugs. I have heard that many people have ran into problems with SP2….but I have yet to run into a single issue myself (several configurations, hardware setup, upgrade, fresh install) same with Vista.

(And if you were implying that my advice is invalid.... Politely go to hell, because I had this exact problem which was solved by following the steps I have provided... And if you were referring to someone else, sorry, don't go to hell)

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

Actually the first release of SP 1 did NOT automatically enable 48-bit LBA, although atapi.sys was updated. The registry still had to be edited when updating an existing XP install, though XP SP1 as a new install did directly provide LBA48. So it may seem to those who got the first release of SP1 that it didn't support drives larger than 137 Gigs. A subsequent SP1a had a few fixes and included default support for LBA48 even as an update. Thus both statements above are correct. I have CDs of both versions of SP1, one updates to LBA48, one doesn't.

I remember going through this when I got a 160gig hard drive. I ended up going into the control panel > administrative tools > computer management and under the Storage section, I clicked on the disk management. This brought up the status of my current HD and the unformated portion of the HD. I then selected the unformated partition and formted it to NTFS file system. This allowed me to use the unused portion that wasn't showing up on the system. I hope that this has helped in anyway.

TRENDING THREADS