500gb showing as 128gb

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hi everyone!

Quick specs;
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
HDD: Western Digital Black 500gb x 2

Strange problem for me, one that I have noticed floating around the forums but never found a complete solution for...

Basically I recently formatted both my WD HD's (Exact same model) using HDDerase; enhanced security erase. I have done this previously before for other computers to reformat HDD and to what I gather, bring them back to their default factory performance.

The format went smoothly, however upon installing windows 7 again, I noted that one of the HDD was showing as 128gb, instead of 465gb. The other HDD showed as normal, being 465.
Inspecting in BIOS revealed that the other HDD was again showing capacity, being at 137gb whereas my other drive shows the normal 500gb.

Please note, both HDD's are the exact same model, only one is showing an incorrect capacity. The HDD's are connected to SATA2_1 and SATA2_0.

Furthermore; Windows disk management also shows the drive being at 127gb capacity, no option to extend the drive.

Can anyone please help me with this issue?

Thanks! Much appreciated

All the best
Mike

mmarasco

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Uncle google revealed that there may be a chance of the rest of the HDD being "hidden"

Download hdat2, revealed hidden area BAM back to full capacity.

Cheers