[SOLVED] 500gb SSD or 1TB External 5400rpm HDD?

theheadshotdude

Reputable
Jul 31, 2017
Okay so my HDD is dead. I'm now looking for a second storage device for games and video files as i have pretty much used up all the space in my 240gb ssd.
So I have a couple of questions:

1. how big would the difference be between an external 5400rpm drive vs an internal 7200rpm hdd be?
  2. should I instead buy a more expensive 500gb ssd?
  3. My previous hard drive caused a lot of vibrations when in use (more than the entire rest of my pc and the whole desk was vibrating.)
now that hard drive is dead now. Were those vibrations because it was dying? Also, do all HDD vibrate a lot like that? Especially in the $50 1tb range?

Solution
Okay, so I have decided that my best course of action was to get an SSD so I went and found one. I have ordered it now and it's on it's way :D. Hard Drives vibrate a lot and the way my case's drive bay is designed doesn't help it that much, and external HDD's are just a bit too uncomfortable for me. I like having storage inside my tower. Anyhow, thanks a lot for all the help and advice! (y)
Okay so my HDD is dead. I'm now looking for a second storage device for games and video files as i have pretty much used up all the space in my 240gb ssd.
So I have a couple of questions:

1. how big would the difference be between an external 5400rpm drive vs an internal 7200rpm hdd be?
  2. should I instead buy a more expensive 500gb ssd?
  3. My previous hard drive caused a lot of vibrations when in use (more than the entire rest of my pc and the whole desk was vibrating.)
now that hard drive is dead now. Were those vibrations because it was dying? Also, do all HDD vibrate a lot like that? Especially in the $50 1tb range?
External vs internal the difference would be quite high with the internal being much faster.
I would just get a 500GB or 1TB SSD.
Could be that it was dying and might not have been balanced correctly in the end.

theheadshotdude

Reputable
Jul 31, 2017
I found a 480gb SSD for about $70 at some local stores so id say that is my budget for now. I would be okay with just a 1tb hard drive if I knew it wouldn't vibrate too much... At the time I'm writing this there is a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200rpm hdd on sale for $50.

theheadshotdude

Reputable
Jul 31, 2017
External vs internal the difference would be quite high with the internal being much faster.
I would just get a 500GB or 1TB SSD.
Could be that it was dying and might not have been balanced correctly in the end.

I screwed every screw in the drive bay so I don't really know why it would be incorrectly balanced. I too thought it was dying so I have removed it from my PC for now. When I was using it I noticed it would turn off and when I tried accessing files on it, it would start spinning (with a very loud start). Although I do have a friend who has had this hard drive for longer than me and isn't experiencing such issues yet. For reference the HDD I used was the Toshiba dt01aca100.

Crucial's MX500 in 500 GB and 1 TB variations cost $86 and $105, respectively. Spinning drives are for folks who need above 1-2 TB and above of space...

If your mainboard has an NVME/M.2 slot, Intel's 660P is often even less expensive than the above, believe it or not..

theheadshotdude

Reputable
Jul 31, 2017
Okay, so I have decided that my best course of action was to get an SSD so I went and found one. I have ordered it now and it's on it's way :D. Hard Drives vibrate a lot and the way my case's drive bay is designed doesn't help it that much, and external HDD's are just a bit too uncomfortable for me. I like having storage inside my tower. Anyhow, thanks a lot for all the help and advice! (y)

Solution