[SOLVED] 500GB WD_BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD - Will Over Provisioning Increase Performance?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I have read a bit about OP, but I'm not sure if it even helps with NVMe having trim and all that.

My 500GB SSD is actually 465GB because of false advertising, and how GB is actually calculated as 465GB, I think this was a coincidence that 7% OP is what is done by default since that is 7% less of 500GB.

I don't think I will fill my SSD past 60% storage, will OP by shrinking my volume down 7% or less benefit me in any way? Or is some sort of OP already implemented into the drive?

USAFRet

Titan
My 500GB SSD is actually 465GB because of false advertising, and how GB is actually calculated as 465GB, I think this was a coincidence that 7% OP is what is done by default since that is 7% less of 500GB.
Incorrect.

It is not formatting, it is not OP, it is not false advertising.
This is simply a difference in reporting units.

Base 10 vs Base 2
Hyman vs Computer.

ALL storage devices are like this.
If you look at a "500GB" HDD, you'll see Windows reporting exactly the same 465GB.

There was even a lawsuit about this a decade ago.
Result? Fine print on the box telling you this.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Incorrect.

It is not formatting, it is not OP, it is not false advertising.
This is simply a difference in reporting units.

Base 10 vs Base 2
Hyman vs Computer.

ALL storage devices are like this.
If you look at a "500GB" HDD, you'll see Windows reporting exactly the same 465GB.

There was even a lawsuit about this a decade ago.
Result? Fine print on the box telling you this.
Yep, that's what I meant by "false advertising" my mistake I should've reworded it.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
A 500GB SSD likely already has 12GB dedicated for overprovisioning. The firmware won't let you access it.

However, adding additional overprovisioning space won't help in performance unless the SSD is close to being full.
Would that OP be shown as "used space?" I know that my SSD is in actuality 465GB and that is simply because of how gigabytes are actually calculated, so I don't think it's in the missing space.
https://prnt.sc/1td8y6f

USAFRet

Titan
Would that OP be shown as "used space?" I know that my SSD is in actuality 465GB and that is simply because of how gigabytes are actually calculated, so I don't think it's in the missing space.
https://prnt.sc/1td8y6f
No.
It may be a "512GB" of actual chips.

You're stressing too much over this.
For a 500/512GB drive, don't fill it up past 400GB. Approx 80%.
Done.

Reactions: ShangWang
Native OP is the amount saved between going from binary to decimal. Marketed OP is the amount that is cordoned off after this, if such a thing is done. For example, 512GB vs 500GB vs 480GB may all have 512GiB of usable flash, with the first being all native OP and the latter two having increasing amounts of marketed OP.

Modern drives can use any free space as dynamic OP, which combined with the rest vs. the amount of space used gives you the effective OP. This is of course reliant on aggressive GC and TRIM. The only way to increase native OP is to have firmware support so the host sees a smaller amount for LBA, but this is not done with consumer drives. It's possible to leave space unallocated on the drive or partition it off, but the SSD will still address flash logically for wear-leveling. The host/OS and SSD do not speak the same language, hence the need for the flash translation layer; TRIM as an example is a way for the host to communicate to the SSD that files are deleted.

Effective OP is the space difference from total flash vs. amount used, for example 427GiB used (as in Windows) would have 20% effective OP - (512 - 427)/(427) - which tends to be a good amount; this would be about 10% of user space free on a "512GB" (477GiB) drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
A 500GB SSD likely already has 12GB dedicated for overprovisioning. The firmware won't let you access it.

However, adding additional overprovisioning space won't help in performance unless the SSD is close to being full.
Hello, sorry for opening up this thread again but I was curious whether or not windows will tell me how much OP is given.
https://prnt.sc/1w6quim
There is a section called "Reserved storage" which is space for windows updates, could this basically be OP?

USAFRet

Titan