Question 500mbps speed, only 80 on Wifi card.

dtaxtman

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
I have a Negear RAX29. I purchased 500mbps download speed from fiber company. If I test the speed at the router, its saying 500mbps. I have a brand new TP-Link AX3000 (TX55E) Wifi card installed on my pc. When I run any speed test I am only getting around 80-100mbps. Any suggestions? I am connected to the 5GHZ band. Channel is on 48 and set up to 1800 speed. This is frustrating. If I connect hard wired I only get around 200ish. Is my router a bottleneck?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Negear RAX29. I purchased 500mbps download speed from fiber company. If I test the speed at the router, its saying 500mbps. I have a brand new TP-Link AX3000 (TX55E) Wifi card installed on my pc. When I run any speed test I am only getting around 80-100mbps. Any suggestions? I am connected to the 5GHZ band. Channel is on 48 and set up to 1800 speed. This is frustrating. If I connect hard wired I only get around 200ish. Is my router a bottleneck?
Until you get your paid for speed via a wired connection, there is no reason to worry about WIFI performance, IMO.
You should test the ethernet cable coming into the RAX29. If that doesn't provide 500Mbit then you need to contact your ISP. If it DOES provide your paid for bandwidth, then I would recommend a factory reset on the RAX29. Set a minimum configuration of admin password, SSID and WIFI password. Nothing else. Then test a wired connection.

dtaxtman

Commendable
Jan 22, 2021
Until you get your paid for speed via a wired connection, there is no reason to worry about WIFI performance, IMO.
You should test the ethernet cable coming into the RAX29. If that doesn't provide 500Mbit then you need to contact your ISP. If it DOES provide your paid for bandwidth, then I would recommend a factory reset on the RAX29. Set a minimum configuration of admin password, SSID and WIFI password. Nothing else. Then test a wired connection.
Hard wired on a laptop I am getting around 350mbps. Substantially higher than the wifi.

You should verify yourself by plugging into the modem directly, instead of having a guy come out. They could charge you if they find nothing wrong.

What modem do you have? If it's an 8x4 or 16x4 modem, that could be your problem. They aren't rated to go up to 500mbps with comcast. Other providers could be similar:, see the speed chart for this modem https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A1E6BA2

You want at least a 24x8 modem to hit 500mbps, even then it could be a little flaky in certain areas. I'd recommend a Docsis 3.1 modem if you want to ensure you hit full speed.