[SOLVED] 500va avr for ryzen 5 3600 and rx 580

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Hello guys. I have a gaming pc with ryzen 5 3600 cpu and rx580 gpu. Psu is 550w corsair cv. 8gb RAM and b450 tomahawk max mobo. I have 500va automatic voltage regulator. I wanted to know whether it will handle my pc if i do gaming for long hours or not? Is 500va enough or do I need to buy 1000va ups? Kindly guide me. Thank you.

Solution
No i do not face any such kind of problems. I am just not sure whether I can plug the cable of my psu and monitor directly to the main power switch board or not. I also have a power strip of 6 sockets(not surge protector) and about that also I am not sure whether I can connect the psu and monitor via the same. That's the reason I am using avr. But it kind of started burning. So my main question is whether I can plug the wires directly into the main power switch board or not? Or do I need some device as a bridge between my pc and the main power line?

Plug them directly into the wall.

If you have good mains power, you don't need to condition the power.

Surge protectors are a good idea to protect from power surges from lightning...
If we assume that the regulator has a power factor of 0.8 and that your system has a peak draw of 400w, your 500va unit will be just, enough. Odds are that you will never reach the peak load as they are usually from torture tests. If you are using the stabilizer with a monitor, or anything else, it's probably not enough.

If this is part of a ups, you'll have ~1 minute of run time at load before the battery is depleted.

Hello guys. I have a gaming pc with ryzen 5 3600 cpu and rx580 gpu. Psu is 550w corsair cv. 8gb RAM and b450 tomahawk max mobo. I have 500va automatic voltage regulator. I wanted to know whether it will handle my pc if i do gaming for long hours or not? Is 500va enough or do I need to buy 1000va ups? Kindly guide me. Thank you.

Why do you need an AVR? Is it an AVR or a UPS?

CV550 is a full range PSU that handles input voltages down to 100V. If your power drops below 100V, you don't need an AVR. You need a UPS.

AVR's are typically needed when you have really garbage PSUs that shut down whenever the mains drops below 200V.

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Why do you need an AVR? Is it an AVR or a UPS?

CV550 is a full range PSU that handles input voltages down to 100V. If your power drops below 100V, you don't need an AVR. You need a UPS.

AVR's are typically needed when you have really garbage PSUs that shut down whenever the mains drops below 200V.
Yesterday when I switched on my system and was copying some files. After 15-20 mins, i realised that something is burning either in my cabinet or its the avr. Immediately I switched off the main power switch. Found out that avr became too hot when I touched it and also it was giving a kind of burning smell. Don't know what happened. Now I am afraid of even turning on my pc. I am really confused what should I get. A ups? A power surge? Or shall i directly connect the pc to the main power switch board.

Yesterday when I switched on my system and was copying some files. After 15-20 mins, i realised that something is burning either in my cabinet or its the avr. Immediately I switched off the main power switch. Found out that avr became too hot when I touched it and also it was giving a kind of burning smell. Don't know what happened. Now I am afraid of even turning on my pc. I am really confused what should I get. A ups? A power surge? Or shall i directly connect the pc to the main power switch board.

Then answer the questions....

Why do you use an AVR? Does your mains voltage typically drop below 100V? Or does your power drop out altogether?

Nobody can solve your problem if we don't know what problem you're trying to solve.

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
Then answer the questions....

Why do you use an AVR? Does your mains voltage typically drop below 100V? Or does your power drop out altogether?

Nobody can solve your problem if we don't know what problem you're trying to solve.
No i do not face any such kind of problems. I am just not sure whether I can plug the cable of my psu and monitor directly to the main power switch board or not. I also have a power strip of 6 sockets(not surge protector) and about that also I am not sure whether I can connect the psu and monitor via the same. That's the reason I am using avr. But it kind of started burning. So my main question is whether I can plug the wires directly into the main power switch board or not? Or do I need some device as a bridge between my pc and the main power line?

Surge protectors are a good idea to protect from power surges from lightning strikes, etc. But if you don't have voltage droop, you don't need an AVR. If you don't have power outages, you don't need a UPS.

Solution

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020

Surge protectors are a good idea to protect from power surges from lightning strikes, etc. But if you don't have voltage droop, you don't need an AVR. If you don't have power outages, you don't need a UPS.
Thanks a lot for clarifying. Also, do I have the option of using a power strip and plug all the cables of my pc like psu cable, monitor cable, speaker cable into the power strip and connect the power strip to the main power line? The power strip is a normal one and not a surge protector.

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
You can. But surge strips are so cheap, might as well make the investment. :D
Okay already placed the order just now. I just wanted to confirm that nothing will explode if I use a normal power strip until the power surge or ups arrives at my place. The avr failed me, the 600va ups failed me, now just hoping that this power strip does not, until the surge protector arrives. Thank u for ur help, now I am relieved and using the power strip as connector between my pc and the main power line.

Okay already placed the order just now. I just wanted to confirm that nothing will explode if I use a normal power strip until the power surge or ups arrives at my place. The avr failed me, the 600va ups failed me, now just hoping that this power strip does not, until the surge protector arrives. Thank u for ur help, now I am relieved and using the power strip as connector between my pc and the main power line.

No. LOL! Nothing is going to "explode".

Most people just plug their PCs directly into the wall.

A lot of people buy/use AVR's, but 99% of the time it's a scam and a waste of money.

rdhaval01

Prominent
Jul 29, 2020
No. LOL! Nothing is going to "explode".

Most people just plug their PCs directly into the wall.

A lot of people buy/use AVR's, but 99% of the time it's a scam and a waste of money.
Yes now I realise that i should not have even considered an avr. The pc is running fine with normal power strip. Just facing some temperature issue though with the cpu and gpu at idle state. The cpu is reaching the levels of 60-70 degree celcius max at idle and gpu around 50 degree celcius. Don't know at what tems they'll reach when I begin the gaming. I think I need to replace my stock cooler with an aftermarket cooler.