500w can hold 980ti?

MingKent

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Hi. I got a psu cooler master silent pro 500w ( i think 80 plus bronze?? ) and i wonder if it can hold a GTX 980ti ( no OC on CPU and GPU ) at full load.
I used
E3 1231v3
8gb of ram
G1 sniper B6

Solution

You're right it doesn't run everything to 100% when gaming only rarely. The problem for you is, when it does if the PSU can't handle it the system will crash. You need a PSU that is better quality that can handle those spikes. Adding a little wattage for cover is a good choice too. Hence a GOOD 550w unit like a Seasonic...
Here is the power consumption review of the 980ti.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti,4164-7.html

It averages 233 watts of power draw when gaming. But peaks are at 428 watts and that is just the GPU. Your CPU will bring that up.

You also don't have a very good PSU and it will struggle to sustain the high wattage. Maybe if you have a better 500 watt PSU it will be fine, but I would look for a decent 600 watt PSU for Corsair, EVGA, or Seasonic.

The 254 watts is the average, it does not cover the peaks.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Yeah, I saw that and corrected my statement; thanks.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

500w is fine. That PSU isn't that good though. I'd try it but if its not reliable, replace it.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

I'd have to disagree there. That system peaks at more than 500W, which is the maximum a 500W PSU is supposed to handle. Long-term it's not a great idea.

MingKent

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

Is it okay if i go and full load with it?

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
You may or may not be able to get by with the 500w PS, and I can tell you from experience owning a 980Ti. However, it can work, depending on what board, CPU, HDD, number of drives, etc, you have. if you have too many components connected to the board and PS, you'll experience shut downs when doing extensive tasks or gaming, or those components won't be running at peak performance. You could potentially damage your hardware.

You know what, why risk it? Just go with 700w 750w PS or above. I always go with a bigger power supply because I always think expand-ability on a rig, and know that I will most likely upgrade the components in the future that will require more power. But that's just me. Good luck!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Not really. I mean it may work for a bit but it will fail sooner than later. Won't burn your house down, but could do damage when failing. Not a good idea.

Again 750w is a huge waste of money. At peak that system will pull in 400 watts or so. I have an E3-1231v3 in my server without a GPU the whole thing barely pulls in 150w on full load with 2 hard drives. With a GPU that will pull in 250w on a spike. 750w is a waste of money. Newer components also tend to be MORE power efficient not less. Any good 500-550w unit is fine.

The 980ti will pull 438 watts on spikes. At least it did according to the review on Tomshardware.com

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti,4164-7.html

The 980ti is still a great GPU, but it is power hungry.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Actually, at peak the card can pull 400+ by itself, and the processor eats up to 92W under heavy load as well (servers don't stress the CPU like games do, especially since server software is designed to use as little power as possible).

The OP could technically get away with a 550W unit, but with my experience with graphics cards that eat power like the 980 Ti, as well as the fact that PSUs degrade over time, and the fact that PSUs aren't designed to use their full rating all the time (it's a peak rating), I'd say a 700W+ is a lot safer if the machine needs to last more than 2 years.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Considering it averages around 250 I wouldn't call it power hungry. a GOOD 550w PSU would easily eat those spikes no problem, hence my reccomendation. The one he has, is gonna not like them.

Thanks for the education but i know how servers work, I know exactly what my server can stress the CPU, I am the one who built it and runs the software on it and I have STRESS TESTED IT which was the basis of my recommendation. In real life, the thing runs 24x7 folding at 50% and draws under 100w.

It can spike to 430w which is rare, but in real life usage it sits around 250 which means a GOOD 550w unit will have no problem. Hence what I said above. We have many users including moderators with good PSUs in that range running 980tis for years without problems.

MingKent

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017

But I don't think gaming can run everything to 100%. I think when gaming, the CPU only runs at 75% and real life, the gpu will stand about 254W. That means with a PSU 500W, i can run everything with no problem. If I don't gaming and render videos or something just like that.
Besides, I don't OC CPU and GPU much. If I take the voltage of GTX 980ti down a little bit. Can i run the system without a problem?

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

In all fairness, you never said what your server was doing, and the majority of all servers are designed to stress the CPU as little as possible. Folding, now that you've mentioned it, is very stressing. Also, I argued against a 500W, not a 550W. Call me paranoid, but my experience with PSUs has been different from yours, and apparently I just get unlucky with PSUs, so I always plan a large overhead just in case.

I do believe your experience, and apologize for assuming you were running a website. And it's great if you and others have had a solid experience with a 980 Ti and a 550W unit. In my experience, a 1000W unit failed to power a dual 980 Ti mining rig... and mining doesn't take as much power as standard gaming.

So, I don't mean to discredit your experience, and am not attempting to do so; but you can't really discredit mine or others' experience either. All PC components, even good ones, aren't the same.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You're right it doesn't run everything to 100% when gaming only rarely. The problem for you is, when it does if the PSU can't handle it the system will crash. You need a PSU that is better quality that can handle those spikes. Adding a little wattage for cover is a good choice too. Hence a GOOD 550w unit like a Seasonic Focus 550.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

But I did say the words "full load' its kinda safe to assume since I'm not a newbie here (hence the moderator tag) I know how to "fully load" a system.

I agree this 500w while 98% of the time may work fine, for the 2% of the time you'll get spikes, it won't, it will crash. A GOOD 550w unit, as I said though, can take those spikes no problem.

As for the 1000w unit failing on you, I believe you but anything can and will fail. But it probably wasn't due to wattage, theres any number of things that can go wrong to cause a PSU failure, and overdrawing them is only one of those things. Unless you were monitoring the power load at the time of failure you can't say the GPUs over drew it and broke it.

I swear by Seasonic, but I got 2 defective XFX TS PSUs once (made by Seasonic) and when i built my current system the Prime Titanium I got had a broken wire in the 24 pin connector. It happens. I'm since very happy with my replacement.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Fair enough (though each 980Ti did work fine with a 290x, they just didn't work when I moved the 290x to another rig and placed them together; this is why I think it's not enough power). I also don't always read the tags under profile pictures, as I'm scatterbrained like that.