500W evga or 550W corsair?

May 17, 2018
I have an Athlon X4 860K and a HD7850 2G. I intend to overclock them both as much as possible. Would the evga psu be ok or would i need the extra 50w. Both psus are the same price but i would prefer the evga if possible. Thanks in advance :)

Solution
A lot depends on the model of each you are comparing. They may or may not be made by the same OEM power supply maker and a lot depends on the quality of them (Seasonic, Superflower, Channel Well specifically as PSU OEM makers). Neither EVGA nor Corsair makes their own core PSU in house and both use outside party OEM core PSUs.

Also, overclocking such an old chipset and video card will not yield beneficial results in today's games and applications. I speak as one who is running a retro gaming rig revolving around a nearly 10 year old 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo E8400 build (once overclocked to 4.4Ghz) paired with a similar aged GTX 280.
A lot depends on the model of each you are comparing. They may or may not be made by the same OEM power supply maker and a lot depends on the quality of them (Seasonic, Superflower, Channel Well specifically as PSU OEM makers). Neither EVGA nor Corsair makes their own core PSU in house and both use outside party OEM core PSUs.

Also, overclocking such an old chipset and video card will not yield beneficial results in today's games and applications. I speak as one who is running a retro gaming rig revolving around a nearly 10 year old 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo E8400 build (once overclocked to 4.4Ghz) paired with a similar aged GTX 280.

Solution