Question 500w psu with rtx 2080?

macawsareawesome

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
The other day I bought and received a rtx 2080. I wasn't thinking about power consumption with my current build at the time. I put it in and everything worked great with the exception of one of the fans being messed up. In the process of returning it to get a new one I had realized that on the box it said that a 650w psu was recommended. Last night I played multiple games and even went in vr and everything worked perfectly. Should I look into getting a new psu by the time it returns or is it ok?

What's the make and model number of your current 500 Watts PSU ? NVIDIA actually recommends a min 650 Watts PSU for the RTX 2080. Do not take any risk, even though you might not be facing any issues right now. Even if that's a very high quality 500 Watts PSU, then also I would still recommend you to upgrade the PSU.

What are the rest of your PC SPECS ??

Last edited:

macawsareawesome

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
What's the make and model number of your current 500 Watts PSU ? NVIDIA actually recommends a min 650 Watts PSU for the RTX 2080. Do not take any risk, even though you might not be facing any issues right now. Even if that's a very high quality 500 Watts PSU, then also I would still recommend you to upgrade the PSU.

What are the rest of your PC SPECS ??
Sorry I took so long to reply, I had to leave for a few days and I didn't have access to any internet. I have a i7 8700k with 16gb of 3200mhz Gskill ram. And my motherboard is a ASRock Z370m-itx/ac. My psu is a EVGA 500BQ 110-BQ-0500-K1 . Are there any power supplies you recommend?

Yeah, definitely get a good quality PSU.

But, when you do, the 2080 is a 215W card (225W for the Founders Edition). I'd say a 650W would give you a little overhead, but 550W (say, from a Seasonic, or a Corsair RMx, HX, or AX series) would be plenty to handle it.

Still, I imagine that for most good quality PSUs, the 650W variant is probably only slightly more in cost than the 550W, so worth spending the extra money for the extra capacity.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS