[SOLVED] 50c~ gpu at idle

Feb 3, 2021
Hi my gpu is 50c average on idle so the fans goes on and off all the time to 50% and back.
is this normal for a gpu.

Specs:
cpu: intel i7 10700k
Ram: corsair vengeance 32gb ram ddr4 3600mghz
Storage: 2x m2 samsung 970 evo plus 1tb
mobo: asus rog strix z490-e gaming
GPU: RTX 3080 gigabyte
AIO : corsair H115i rgb pro
PSU: Corsair RM850

Solution
i know how it works xD.
but i was just wondering if it could hurt my gpu if the fans keep going on and off all the time on idle
maybe less life time or so
The fans going on and off shouldn't hurt the lifetime of anything.
There really isn't any significant extra wear on the electronics or the fan that I can think of due to "going on and off all the time"...unlike some other things.
It doesn't make a difference to the electronics or the fan bearings.
Feb 3, 2021
Mine tend to stay in the 30's-40's (3 GPUs) at idle...but 50 isn't that far away...and it won't hurt anything.

What happens to the temp if you run with the case open?
i dont think its the case fault.
i have 3 140mm fans on front at 700rpm
1 140mm in the back at 700rpm
and 2 140mm fans on top for my AIO at 700-1000 rpm
but let me check if it makes any difference.

Feb 3, 2021
Many video cards now have a so-called "zero-fan" mode, where the fans won't spin up until the GPU reaches a certain temperature.

You can use MSI Afterburner and set a custom fan curve if you don't want this.
i know how it works xD.
but i was just wondering if it could hurt my gpu if the fans keep going on and off all the time on idle

i know how it works xD.
The fans going on and off shouldn't hurt the lifetime of anything.
There really isn't any significant extra wear on the electronics or the fan that I can think of due to "going on and off all the time"...unlike some other things.
It doesn't make a difference to the electronics or the fan bearings.

Reactions: jeremystout
Solution
It is normal, mine is at 57c while not doing something that uses the GPU
I think as long as you don't go over about 85C under full load it really doesn't matter a whole lot what it idles at....although many times the two are related....so if it idles high sometimes it will go too high under load.

As far as the fan cycling....fans can cycle for a bunch of reasons....many times they are controlled by what's called a PID controller....and if the parameters in the PID math are off you can get cycling.

Sometimes you can get rid of the cycling by changing the fan profile.

Reactions: jeremystout