Question 50c idle cpu temps

Sep 2, 2020
I'm idling at around 50 C with a few chrome tabs open. I live in Puerto Rico and the average ambient temp here is 85-95 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm running a Ryzen 7 3700x with the stock wraith prism cooler inside an NZXT H210 case (Using a full size power supply, not sfx. I know it affects temps in this case but I don't think this is the reason behind my high idles). Running one front intake, a back-side exhaust fan, and a top exhaust fan. I clean out the dust filters and fans pretty regularly. OS is Windows 10 if it matters and temps measured on the Ryzen Master program. I know this might be my thermal paste application but I wanna know if these temps are to be expected from my conditions before dismantling my pc. I've got a pretty high custom fan curve set, it reaches 100% fan speed pretty early. If this fan curve has any drawbacks aside from noise (which I could not care less about) then please let me know. I hope I provided enough information and I'll appreciate any suggestions or information on how to move forward regarding this. I'll answer any questions you guys need to give an accurate opinion.

Edit: Loaded the cpu at 100% for 30 minutes, peaked at 86.2 degrees Fahrenheit

Last edited:
I don't think 50C is that hot when you consider your ambient is averaging 90 degrees.
What's the temp with the CPU maxed out?
If you haven't checked this...I would run the CPU at 100% using CPUID or something similar and monitor the temp and the temps are good at full load I might leave it be. 90F is on the hot side for ambient.

Sep 2, 2020
I don't think 50C is that hot when you consider your ambient is averaging 90 degrees.
What's the temp with the CPU maxed out?
If you haven't checked this...I would run the CPU at 100% using CPUID or something similar and monitor the temp and the temps are good at full load I might leave it be. 90F is on the hot side for ambient.
While gaming for about 2 hours (Control, 1080p, ultra settings, rtx on, fps uncapped (about 120fps) Ive seen it peak at around 87 degrees but never over that. I'll go and test a 100% load now and post the details though. Running an rtx 2070 super, if it helps.

While gaming for about 2 hours (Control, 1080p, ultra settings, rtx on, fps uncapped (about 120fps) Ive seen it peak at around 87 degrees but never over that. I'll go and test a 100% load now and post the details though. Running an rtx 2070 super, if it helps.
I think 87 is on the warm side...but then again...your ambient temps are high.
95C is the max temp spec on the CPU
As far as cooling it...the main things are...enough paste...cooler snug...good case cooling...and is your CPU fan spinning fast enough....or if you are water cooling...is the cooler working properly.
One thing to try....you can run with the case open and see if the temp goes down....if it does I would add case cooling and if it doesn't I don't think you need to.

Sep 2, 2020
I think 87 is on the warm side...but then again...your ambient temps are high.
95C is the max temp spec on the CPU
As far as cooling it...the main things are...enough paste...cooler snug...good case cooling...and is your CPU fan spinning fast enough....or if you are water cooling...is the cooler working properly.
One thing to try....you can run with the case open and see if the temp goes down....if it does I would add case cooling and if it doesn't I don't think you need to.
As far as I know the case cooling im running is pretty much optimal, I can only really think is my thermal paste application or maybe just my cooler. You think getting a tower cooler or a decent AIO would help much? If thats just how the temps are gonna be cause of my climate then so be it, but I'd do anything to see em drop. Seriously uncomfortable seeing these idles