50hz vs 100hz for a TV?

camelelf

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
I've always used my LG 24" monitor for my PC and Xbox One. I also sat very close to that monitor. After a remodel of my set up, I'm sitting a good five feed away and need a bigger screen.

I was thinking of a Samsung H5000 32" 100hz which are well known and have many reviews on Amazon and others. But I have just seen a 40" for £200 down from £300, which is actually £10 cheaper than the 32". It's a Bush TV with 8ms and 50hz.

Is there much difference between the two?

Solution
For fast motion on the screen, such as sports and action movies, and in your case..games, you will definitely notice a difference. 50Hz would be very choppy when things are moving fast on the screen. Go for the highest frequency you can get. You won't regret it.

lukall87

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
hmm... some people (including me) can "see" 50hz. You can see the frames moving in action scenes especially. It does not look smooth. Most people shoot for at least 60hz. That is the average refresh rate. I have a 144hz monitor and I love it. Everything is really smooth.

Neur0nauT

Admirable
For fast motion on the screen, such as sports and action movies, and in your case..games, you will definitely notice a difference. 50Hz would be very choppy when things are moving fast on the screen. Go for the highest frequency you can get. You won't regret it.

Solution

camelelf

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
Thanks guys. Probably give it a miss. I'll spend a little extra and get a 100hz Panasonic. No point in scrimping and saving on a TV. I just didn't really know if there was a big difference or not.