512 megs with Win98

mpjesse

Splendid
Woah... I just went from 256megs of PC2100 to 512megs- BIG DIFFERENCE. Webpages load twice as fast for some weird reason. Can't wait to launch my game server and see how it does with Giants.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

mpjesse

Splendid
That's what you think... Along with increased performance on my machine, 512megs has allowed me to have super-human typing powers. Shhh... don't tell anyone.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You just blew your cover!!

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

mpjesse

Splendid
Huh? Oh crap!!! Now I'll have to move to Antartica and never talk to any of you again. Think they take mutants in Antartica?

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

Interesting. You noticed the much of a differance in speed. I was told that after 256 megs you really don't notice a differance.

I have win NT 4.0 with 256 of ram, I was wanting to add another 128 but haven't bothered because of reasons given above. But I think I may go a head and add some ram. Its so cheep now I figure its a good time to do it.

Cheers

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah- I can't explain it. When I use my machine as a dedicated game server for Giants (a game) I can also handle a lot more users.

But the biggest noticable difference in speed is on the internet.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
:smile: Sure, management always gets the good computers...

At least you know how to use one.

I once setup an $8K computer for a director just to use for email. The thing is he never even used. He had his secretary screen his email on her 4-yr old slug of machine. His machine was just a trophy.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeh the difference is great init... in windows you hit a threshhold and anything above that is amazing running usually at around 360 megs break it and your box runs like the wind... very pleasant... i cant imagine it with ddr need to get some...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

mpjesse

Splendid
Heh... listen to this. I'm a systems integrator on a military post in Washington. Right when I got hired the Army had just finished upgrading all it's computers in the soldiers' mess halls. They bought a Dual P3 server for one small dining facility to run a simple terminal like program to access some old ass UNIX system over the WAN for ordering bulk food. It was on a P166- which was JUST FINE!!! We're talking at least 2 grand for this machine just to run Windows Terminal. Well, come to find out, every dining facility in the Army got the same machine- a Dual P3 (933mhz I think). So, that's where your tax dollars go.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Only dual P3's to run terminal emulation :smile: ! lol!!! Why not dual Xeon processors? <b>LOL!!!</b> Time to upgrade to P4's! Wait a minute, no dual processor capability.

Those "terminals" would run much better with Geforce 3 cards.

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah... it's ridiculous. They wanted to upgrade all the computers on post to new Gateway E-series machines. I put a stop to that. These top level Sergeant Major's and frigin colonels only use the machines for email, MS Word, Excel, etc. Right now the average machine is a P166.

They all want new computers. What the hell for?! It's not like they're using them for gaming. We do need to upgrade our file servers though- as well as our web servers. We've got a TON of bandwidth but really slow webservers.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"