[SOLVED] 5120 x 1440p > GeForce advice

May 11, 2021
Hi guys, I am a music producer and I need to select a graphic card, I have no idea about GPU's etc so I decided to ask a few questions to the pro's :

I have a configuration with a Ryzen 5950, 128GB DDR4 3000 and a 8 TB corsair MP400 SSD and an ASUS ROG STRIX X570i motherboard

Now, I bought a super ultrawide 5120 x 1440p , I will only use it to display my music application comfortably: to split my sequencer in three sections on the big screen, and nothing else, so graphical demand is low, refresh rate can be 60Hz

I think the graphic card on my ASUS motherboard will not do the job since I think that I need two DP output ports in order to be able to use the full range of the screen, however I might be wrong because I don't know anything about graphic cards > if someone can confirm this that would be great!

If I indeed need the card, I was looking at the following options :
  • 6GB nvidia gtx 1060
  • 6GB nvidia gtx 1060 super
  • 6GB nvidia rtx 2060
  • 12GB nvidia rtx 3060
which one would be comfortable to do the job?

Thanks for the advise, thumbs up
Giovanni

Solution
I think the graphic card on my ASUS motherboard
Your motherboard has SUPPORT for integrated graphics that are located in a CPU that HAS integrated graphics. 5950 does NOT have integrated graphics so whatever you connect in the motherboard's video outputs won't display a signal.

Since you don't want it for anything graphically demanding, all of the GPUs you mentioned will do, provided they have at least 2 DP outputs.
What also plays a role is if your PSU can handle your hardware. What is the exact make and model of your PSU?
I think the graphic card on my ASUS motherboard
Your motherboard has SUPPORT for integrated graphics that are located in a CPU that HAS integrated graphics. 5950 does NOT have integrated graphics so whatever you connect in the motherboard's video outputs won't display a signal.

Since you don't want it for anything graphically demanding, all of the GPUs you mentioned will do, provided they have at least 2 DP outputs.
What also plays a role is if your PSU can handle your hardware. What is the exact make and model of your PSU?

Solution
RMx series are good PSUs and if it's rather new (not more than 2 years old), you would be fine with even stronger and more power demanding GPUs.

The GPU pricing is crazy at the moment and you won't get anything cheap for sure. I would suggest you lay off used GPU market since you don't know what their usage was (mostly mining) and what is their "true" condition. Try to find a deal as close to MSRP as possible.